Complete France Forum

René Barjavel

SaligoBay

Seems like EVERYBODY knows him, but I only came across him a few weeks ago when someone lent me "La nuit des temps".

I thought it was absolutely lovely, it was a joy to read in French, it was like a poem in prose, and the story just gets you right there.

Yours, in a post-trifle soppy moment.

I thought perhaps it was a Christmas fool, but see you are serious

http://www.amazon.fr/exec/obidos/ASIN/2266023039/qid=1102194080/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_10_2/402-3702772-1028920

thank you, I'll make reading something by him a New Year's Resolution (fancy the one about the unicorns myself)

• 1 month later...
I bought "La nuit des temps" with the alapage voucher wanadoo sent me... haven't opened it yet but it's there on the shelf.

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished "Les Chemins de Katmandou" by this here Monsieur Barjavel, enjoyed it very much, although it's certainly not what you would call a happy story.

It was based on a 1969 film of the same name, with Jane Birkin as Jane, and Serge Gainsbourg as Ted.   Impressive page here with everything you could possibly want to know (and more!) about the film and the book, it even has pictures if there's too much French for you.  AND you can listen to the music from the film, it's by Serge Gainsbourg.  It's a laugh, it's just soooooooo 60s.  If you're at all into qrty-farty French culture, you'll be in heaven.   Happy reading!

http://barjaweb.free.fr/SITE/ecrits/Katmandou/katmandou.html

• 1 month later...

And another Barjavel bites the dust. 

"La Faim du Tigre" this time, not a novel, vaguely same sort of subject matter as "The Blind Watchmaker" by Richard Dawkins, but from a more philosophical angle, and with a different conclusion.   And more readable - you have to be pretty determined to get all the way through Dawkins with your sanity still intact!

Another NICE read.  I don't agree with some of his conclusions, but I like him anyway, and if he'd been born a few years later he might have benefitted from the extra advances in science, and might have been RIGHT as well as NICE.   

Archived