Complete France Forum

Les Restos du Coeur

SaligoBay

For those who don't know, this is a charity started by a comedian called Coluche (died in a motorbike accident in 1986).  Both he and les Restos are well-known names in France.   Les Restos provide meals for the poor and/or homeless.   There's a big multi-star concert called Les Enfoirés every year for les Restos.

For those who do already know..... what's your impression of les Restos?   I hear some very cynical things about it here.   The first one was from a friend who is - ahem - a bit anti-Arab, so I didn't take that one very seriously, but since then I've heard the same message from other, more sensible people.  "Les Restos du Coeur is a scam, the people who eat there are usually better off than you and me" kind of sums it up.

Is this just a local view?

Here's the Wikipedia entry for Coluche, if anyone's interested:

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coluche

• Camarades ! Le capitalisme, c'est l'exploitation de l'Homme par l'Homme. Le syndicalisme, c'est le contraire.  Coluche.
  •  

Love the quote Maybe I won't quote it at school today

I've heard the same negative comments, but mostly from people who have attitudes closer to the first person you mentioned

The general feeling I've always had is that les restos don't bother asking people to prove that they are in need; if they are there and asking for help, they get it.

I remember back in the early eighties how everybody thought that it was a one off ( a bit like comic relief I suppose)

Having been in the position to accept the aid of the Restos de Couer from time to time over the last 12 years (I'm handicapped and have 3 kids), I do wonder about the people accepted...

There is virtually nobody who arrives at the St Lo branch on foot or by bus. All come by car (not having one, we don't) and some of these cars would feed a very large family for a very long time. Dressed in Nike trainers and Adidas tracksuits - brand new by the look of it - they then proceed to take the piss out of the food on offer; grab everything they can and depart, making rude remarks. The people helping behind the counters are all volunteers, many of whom have been in same position at one time or another. Before you ask about MY contribution, I wrote a recipe book for the Restos in Valognes (St Lo having told me to take a hike, they weren't interested) which was distributed free in 150 000 exemplaires from lower Normandy/Mayenne to Paris. Except in St Lo, of course.

Obviously there is an enormous abuse of this system; which I find abhorrent. The people really in need can't get it and the******** do.

I think anyone who has a car, without a valid reason (ie work, in which case why do they NEED the food?) and 7 kids, frequently borrowed, does not require the help of this, generally speaking, kind bunch of people. I'm sorry if I upset anyone, but this kind of scrounging makes me *loody furious.

No, I didn't want to go to them, but I think I was a valid case and gave enough back in terms of my ability.

Shoot me down if you wish. Better still, shoot the person who left us in this position............

The recipe book was written around what was available that week: little old lady in Valognes sent me the list each week (can of tuna, one potato, 2 eggs and so forth) and I constructed the book round that. I had no computer, all was written by hand in understandable French and photocopied by either me or them. But apparently it went down a storm. I still have the master copy, if you are interested. Our friend in Valognes, whom we nickenamed our 'crevette', much to her amusement -she was rather short of stature - used to drive all the way from there to here to bring the kids pots of finger paint, until she had two hip replacements.

Her husband died and we have no car, or method of getting to her, more's the pity. I miss her.

OK I took; but I gave, too.

Archived