Complete France Forum

French newsreaders - why the bright pink lipstick?

We don't usually see much television in France, because we camp. But at Easter we had a gite so had a television to watch. I couldn't pinpoint what was odd at first, but then realised that the male newsreaders are wearing bright pink lipstick (not to forget the excessive orange tan). On British television, all the newsreaders surely wear make-up, but it is done tastefully so it looks natural. Are they just Clo Clo wannabes or what?

That made me laugh, Jill!   But you're right, sometimes the make-up is a bit obvious!  Jean-Pierre Foucault can look very lippy sometimes.

Glad to see they're finally catching on to small, discreet microphones on TV, it was odd seeing people talking to each other in a studio, sticking these huge great microphones up each other's noses.

On our regional news reports,the readers always seem so scruffy to me. The women often have unruly hair that looks windswept and the men have a lot of dandruff ontheir shoulders. They certainly aren't taken on for their looks either which is another example of how the french don't take looks to be that important but what the individual does instead which gives a better image to folk instead of being brainwashed into thinking that everyone should be like a slim attractive celebrity however minor.

They certainly aren't taken on for their looks either which is another example of how the french don't take looks to be that important

But that isn't the case on French national TV, Val.  Nor internationally either, the women newsreaders on TV5 all stunning.  M

[quote]Only the ladies, surely, Jill? PPDA usually sports a year round tan but I don't think I've yet seen him in bright pink lipstick! M[/quote]

No - it really was the men I was referring to. I can't remember which channel, but we were in Manche so it could have been regional. There was one man definitely wearing pink pearly lipstick - maybe the make up artist just lost the proper one and just grabbed that one in a hurry.

All of them do seem to have a thicker layer of pancake or whatever they use in TV though, and perhaps more eyebrow pencil and liner? I would have just thought it was the TV where we were staying, but ordinary people being interviewed looked normal and then I saw another male news reader with a thick layer of make up, on BBC news the other day when he was at some news conference or something with the French President. It looked the same on our home TV too.

French TV newsreaders might go over the top with the make up or perhaps your colour needs adjusting, but they can read an hour plus news bulletin all on their own which none on the BBC or Sky News seem to be able to manage.  Who said France was overmanned

but they can read an hour plus news bulletin all on their own which none on the BBC or Sky News seem to be able to manage

Oh spot on, Ray.  In fact, the people on Sky News are incapable of reading more than one sentence at a time!  I've only watched it a few times at friends' places (wouldn't pay to have it in my house) but am I alone in thinking this is a truly awful channel?  M

Archived