Complete France Forum

Rudeness - Part II

Coco

It seems it isn't just Air France staff that can be rude - or perhaps he does work for AF, I don't know!!!  But this morning I got an email from a Frenchman, via mywebsite, basically saying

"if you want to run a chambres d'hotes in France then you should put your website in French and learn to speak French.  You may think you own our country but you don't!"

So what have I done to upset someone?  The words, "life" and "get a" spring to mind.  I wonder if he spends his evenings trawling the web for foreigners renting property in France that don't have their website 100% in French.  I have a French description of my property, the surrounding area and tarif on all the French sites that I am on.  He clearly found a link to my own website, which has bits (I must admit, not all of it) in French but I have taught myself how to make a website and am still in the process of building the French version.  So I took great satisfaction in responding to him IN FRENCH, telling him that I speak French, about 50% of my very nice clientele is French, I have many kind comments about my B&B IN FRENCH on my website, that if he had taken the time to bother to ask me I could have explained that the French version of my website is under development.  However, as I have so many charming French clients, I am pleased to say that I wouldn't need custom from someone so "mal élevé" as he clearly was. 

I know, I know, I should have ignored it but quite honestly I was gobsmacked at such an unprovoked attack.  There really are some sad people out there!

Ignore it Coco, there always going to be idiots about. I suspect it might even be a Brit ?

As far as having an exact French translation for your site, I can offer you the contact number of a French lady (fluent English having spent years in the UK) who will do it for you at a very good price, she has just finished a friends and what she charged was extremely good value. I am sure she would give you an estimate before doing anything.

Thanks Miki, I'd be grateful for her name, it may speed up my finishing the job!

However, can you believe it, this guy has actually replied to me, firstly telling me that I knew nothing of his education and that "mal élevé" was the wrong term to use for "rude" so you could be right, it could be a Brit, he clearly understood what I was trying to say.  However, what makes him so sure I wasn't referring to his lack of/bad education to behave in such a way!!

Anyway, he has more or less backtracked on what he said in his first email but still reiterated that it really annoys him how many Brits come to France and don't bother to learn the language.  On that point I have to agree with him - mine is a long, long way from perfect but at least I am always understood and have made the effort.  I think that the more Brits who come here and refuse to learn, the more we are likely to get this kind of reaction from total strangers.  Still no excuse for his initial reaction though, and I've told him so again!

Well would you adam and eve it!  I called his bluff and suggested that he may like to help me translate my site into French and he's just come back and asked me to send him the English text and he will do just that!

I'd still appreciate your lady's details though Miki, I intend to revamp the whole site over the winter and will require a lot more French than I currently do in this "quck fix".

I used to get regular mails telling me that my UK site in English was full of spelling mistakes - by Americans. I always replied carefully explaining that we had different spellings for the words mentioned.

You have diffused the situation as I always tried to do.

[quote]I used to get regular mails telling me that my UK site in English was full of spelling mistakes - by Americans. I always replied carefully explaining that we had different spellings for the words ment...[/quote]

**I used to get regular mails telling me that my UK site in English was full of spelling mistakes - by Americans.**

Being obnoxious to Brits is one of our charms. (g) For a reverse twist, check-out the Anglais at:

http://www.benhuyc.com/eng/index.php

Not bad for a ***-star hotel, right? We will be spending a few nights there this month while visiting friends from California who have a place nearby.

[quote]Oh brilliant, Ray! Perhaps I could make a living turning French websites into correct English - that one is a corker!![/quote]

** Perhaps I could make a living turning French websites into correct English**

I've seen many who could certainly use some help.

"Come to slacken, appreciate the products of the sea, to make sport, to take part in a competition of golf or in the paradise of the hikers, to make functioning on interminable " the path of the Customs officers "

Yes. Of course. I have a nasty feeling about what 'make sport' might mean...

Coming back on the subject of comical website translations, looks like the City of Rouen is in a league of its own when it comes to farcical translations, examples abound and too many to list here, best to have a look at the 'restaurants' and 'hotels' sections in the official Rouen Tourism site. Many businesses have simply entered the French (often arduous, literary/poetic French texts to boot !) in a Translation site/box, probably a free one, and it shows ! Mind, it is genuinely hilarious and perversely enough it would entice me in, with such awful translations, the staff can't be bad bougres ! Certainly makes for a side-splitting half-hour or so of reading and comparing. 'Désopillant' and priceless ! On en redemande.

[quote]Coming back on the subject of comical website translations, looks like the City of Rouen is in a league of its own when it comes to farcical translations, examples abound and too many to list here, be...[/quote]

Sounds interesting! Do you have the web address handy?

[quote]http://www.rouentourisme.com/ Click on hotels or restaurants for starters, and check out, say, the 'la creperie régalière' site.[/quote]

**Click on hotels or restaurants for starters**

Thanks, V!

[quote]http://www.rouentourisme.com/ Click on hotels or restaurants for starters, and check out, say, the 'la creperie régalière' site.[/quote]

** 'la creperie régalière' **

I think I like the 'vintage coffee' best.

Oh dear, oh dear, Dick, after a hard day, your calembour nearly finished me off mate. I would even say that your calembours are more dubious than those of another distinguished user on this very site whose Franglish puns are something else... Anyway, for mains, I've got the site to whet your appetite, that of the legendary brasserie Chez Chartier (a 'populo' brasserie, not an upmarket one) in Paris (www.restaurant-chartier.com), click on the English version of their French menu and, lo and behold...it is the same basically, apart from 'The chef proposes you' + the date which is occasionally in English when they can be bothered that is, as well as the odd 'and' instead of 'et' and 'with' for 'avec'.

Ray, in Rouen, I also like the Vieux Carre restaurant and their 'greedy tea room' ('salon de thé gourmand' I think it was in French), there are so many gems to choose from, my fav' site !