Complete France Forum

Obséques Civile

Val_2

Yesterday I went to one of these, the first one that anyone can recall being held here in our village hall. I have to say that after years of going to funerals in the church here,and we all know how morbidly depressing they are in France,it was surprisingly refreshing to go to such an occasion and even some of the stalwart catholic churchgoers were surprised.The deceased who was a member of the local communist party was not religious and wanted no fuss. His coffin entered the hall,carried by his friends to the music of Motzart,then the maire recounted his life and achievements, his son then spoke a few words of thanks and then we had one of those really cheesy sixties type french pop songs where there are usually too many words to fit inwith the music and that was it. Going out,everyone took a rose petal from a large basket and placed in on the coffin, so much nicer than all the religious carry-on that I slip out of a side door to avoid. This has made us think about the inevitable now,knowing we can hold such an occasion without the merest hint of any religion in it.

Archived