Complete France Forum

Protocol with builders

sid

Having seen the earlier thread about treating the pompiers I thought I'd ask a similar question about builders.

We have a small team (3) doing our renovation and they've done a fantastic job. Don't they work hard? We'd like to say thank you at the end and wondered if other people give a thank you present? And if so, what would be appropriate? I wouldn't want to offer something they would find unacceptable. I'm thinking perhaps a good whiskey; or is a good cognac better? Or something else.... like what?

Around here, when the work on a house is finished, it is a french tradition to have a crémaillère (rather like a house-warming party, but including all the artisans/architects/friends/neighbours etc).

It might be a nice idea to invite your builders, if you were thinking of having a house-warming that is.

We plan a housewarming, but that won't be until May at the earliest... I've got loads of finishing to do inside, including laying tiles which I've already queried on this forum and decorating. We'll invite the builders and neighbours.

The builder has asked for some photos of the work and as I've been keeping a photographic record I'll give him (the boss) an album; I can tell he's very proud of the work he's done. We're very pleased too!

I think we'll get some decent bottles of something for them.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived