Complete France Forum

SUMMER TIME

windowman

[quote user="powerdesal"]GMT = Zulu, GMT+1 = Alpha
[/quote]

'Ma brane 'urtz'.

British Winter time is 'Zulu' and is the time that all clocks around the world are tied to. Much to the disgust of the country we live in. The clocks used to move into and out of Summer time about 6 weeks apart and it was VERY complicated so the change was set to coincide, BUT the U.K. clocks change at 02.00 U.K. time and the froggie ones change at 2hr French time, so there is still an hours difference, but I didn't notice it last knight? [8-)][8-|][;)]

John (whoze body clock's all up the chute)

[quote user="Jonzjob"]

[/quote]

'Ma brane 'urtz'.

British Winter time is 'Zulu' and is the time that all clocks around the world are tied to. Much to the disgust of the country we live in. The clocks used to move into and out of Summer time about 6 weeks apart and it was VERY complicated so the change was set to coincide, BUT the U.K. clocks change at 02.00 U.K. time and the froggie ones change at 2hr French time, so there is still an hours difference, but I didn't notice it last knight? [8-)][8-|][;)]

[/quote]

Zulu is Greenwich Mean Time, there is no such thing as 'British Winter Time'

[quote user="Stocky"][quote user="Jonzjob"]

[/quote]

'Ma brane 'urtz'.

[/quote]

Zulu is Greenwich Mean Time, there is no such thing as 'British Winter Time'

[/quote]

Oh dear me, I have been chastized!? I said British Winter time not 'British Winter Time'. So sorry, I should not have put winter with a capital. British winter time I would think is the time in Britain in winter, which in my 12 years in the Royal Air Force was GMT or Zulu... (Bloody sack cloth and ashes again, the ashes I can stand, but the sack cloth don't 'arf rub in the sensitive spots[A]?)

John ( must remember Paris is a capital, as is plaster of Paris ,,,,,,, I think, all though pert etre?[calcined gypsum, originaly prepaired from gypsums of Montmatre )

P.S. Working night shift on the aircraft at R.A.F. Brize Norton the end of the 12 hour shift always seemed to be an hour later than in the summer, colder too! Just as well the Short's Belfast had 6 bunks below the cockpit..........

Stocky is right, there is no such thing as "British Winter Time". In the winter, Britain is on GMT and British Summer Time ( which does exist ) is GMT+1. British Summer Time (BST) has a specific meaning and is a form of DST (Daylight Saving Time), a term I believe that is used in the US.

What is "Zulu"; don't know the expression.

KathyC,

'Zulu time' is military terminology for GMT, because the military

operate across different time zones ( particularly RAF) all operation

orders are related to a specific time, ie Zulu if GMT, Alpha-time if

GMT+1, Bravo-time if GMT+2  etc. For GMT minus, go back from Zulu

, ie Yankee, x-ray etc.

Regards

[quote user="powerdesal"]KathyC,

'Zulu time' is military terminology for GMT, because the military operate across different time zones ( particularly RAF) all operation orders are related to a specific time, ie Zulu if GMT, Alpha-time if GMT+1, Bravo-time if GMT+2  etc. For GMT minus, go back from Zulu , ie Yankee, x-ray etc.

Regards

[/quote]

We in the Royal Air Force used to recon that the Navy and the Army used it as well. After all they did get there eventually? (where ever 'there' was  [A]?)

John.

P.S. May I be allowed to be a little picky, with no offence meant of course, but the R.A.F. should have the full stops between the letters. IBM is a different case, because that is their logo. Please accept no offence!

Jonzjob,

No offence taken. My only 'excuse' is that my typing is 'almost' as bad

as my handwriting, speed leading to mistakes in grammatical accuracy.

I agree that the other services also use Zulu time etc but we don't

talk too much about them. The object was to explain as simply as

possible to non-military experienced people (possibly, but not

necessarily !) that it was necessary when crossing multiple time zones,

air travel reference seemed to be the best vehicle for such explanation.

Regards

[quote user="Teamedup"]? Jonzjob, the R A F website doesn't have any full stops.[/quote]

You will probably find that they leave the full stops out to speed up the download time?

TU I have to admit that the pilloks at the top may now have decided that the American way is the best policy and that grandma (or should that be gramma, oh sod it) don't not count no more???

John.

[quote user="powerdesal"]Jonzjob,

No offence taken. My only 'excuse' is that my typing is 'almost' as bad as my handwriting, speed leading to mistakes in grammatical accuracy.

I agree that the other services also use Zulu time etc but we don't talk too much about them. The object was to explain as simply as possible to non-military experienced people (possibly, but not necessarily !) that it was necessary when crossing multiple time zones, air travel reference seemed to be the best vehicle for such explanation.

Regards

[/quote]

My bigest problem is that whenever i get near a keyboard it goes completly diklucksic and is a trype writer all of a cudden. But I live on the complete knowledge that I NEVER MAKE MASTIKES!

John.

P.S. I wonder if Zulu time is politically correct these daze???

Archived