Complete France Forum

Truffaut

Dick Smith

No. In fact I believe rain does not figure in either film, I must have been in England, but cinematic references do (I love the 2 kids with Laurel and Hardy masks in Baisers Volés), and of course Truffaut's obsession with female legs. Antoine Doinel does carry an umbrella at one stage, but it remains furled. A-Ha! But I suppose that sometimes an umbrella is just an umbrella.

There is to be a season, according to Sky. There is an introductory programme at the weekend, but at the moment the schedules are just showing 400 Coups and BV several times.

You should give them a try. He was, in my opinion, the greatest of the New Wave auteurs, and the Antoine Doinel cycle, in which the same actor (Jean-Pierre Leaud) plays the same character in a series of movies over a period of 20 years, the character being an amalgam of Truffaut himself and Leaud, is a brilliant achievement. He also made thrillers - one of his major influences was Alfred Hitchcock, about whom he wrote prolifically. Sadly his life and career were cut short in 1984 at the age of 52.

For a very well-written appraisal of his life and career, look here.

[quote user="Dick Smith"]You should give them a try. He was, in my opinion, the greatest of the New Wave auteurs, and the Antoine Doinel cycle, in which the same actor (Jean-Pierre Leaud) plays the same character in a series of movies over a period of 20 years, the character being an amalgam of Truffaut himself and Leaud, is a brilliant achievement. [/quote]

You're going to frighten Phil if you talk like that!

Dick!  What do you think about the Mr. Bean of France  - a.k.a.  the wonderfully 'avant guarde'  Jacques Tati?

Very thin, but watchable nevertheless, if only because it's good fun to sit in wonderment as it gets increasingly self-indulgent.  Ah, and lo and behold, we arrive at Eraserhead....

Cyclical, the movies, like bikes....[:D]

Archived