Complete France Forum

Norman History

Cassis

That's one of my favourite sites too. Though I have to confess I got the Les Barker version from one of his books, I didn't realise that too was on there. Les has also done a parody of the Lion and Albert one, which has about the most excruciating punch line ever. Nothing to do with Norman History, but well worth seeking out. It's called 'Waste Not Want Not'.

• 1 month later...
Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum, as I found it recently. I was hoping to find someone, who can offer more detailed advice, about the history of Normandy. I'm a high school working on a project, with specific orders: We must utilize our social skills and gain our info from other international people around the world based on our designated countries.

Speak for yourself, Sossidge. I had to write essays about this stuff! Just doing a source analysis (with Year 7) on the arrow-in-the-eye business as we speak.

What do you want to know, Pop? The complete history of Normandy is a bit of a tall order in a forum message!

I'm sure if it could be condensed it into 50 words, without skipping anything important, that would suffice.  Over to you, Mr Smith. [:)]

On another thread you mentioned Michelin guidebooks.  The Green guides are wonderful, I agree.  They formed the backbone and framework of many a past holiday.  They also give a potted history which could help this OP.

Norseman Hrolf invaded 911, became Rollo the Norman. Became a pain to the Franks. William born 1015ish, bastard, conquered England 1066. Left Normandy to son. Lots of arguments. Philip 2 took N from John1, swizz. 1259 French got own back. English invaded, no good. Thumped in WW2, now very nice.

Edit - the asterisks are this mimsy forum software's idiot censorship of the factual term for William's natal state, i.e. illegitimate.

Born London Marylebone, February

4th 1915, to Frederick and Maude. Mother left home. He ran away, returned.  Became errand boy, coal-miner, waiter,

pageboy, cabin-boy, soldier. Debut as entertainer at age 31.  Tweed cap,

tight jacket, undersized trousers, twisted tie. Physical slapstick comedy

films. Knighthood 1999. Cult film icon in Albania.

[quote user="Cassis"]

Born London Marylebone, February

4th 1915, to Frederick and Maude. Mother left home. He ran away, returned.  Became errand boy, coal-miner, waiter,

pageboy, cabin-boy, soldier. Debut as entertainer at age 31.  Tweed cap,

tight jacket, undersized trousers, twisted tie. Physical slapstick comedy

films. Knighthood 1999. Cult film icon in Albania.

[/quote]

Thank you, Mr Grimsdale...

Archived