Complete France Forum

Door mats!!

Nicos

When we bought our house the previous owners left a large "dish cloth" mat just inside the door. I dumped it and replaced it with a more UK normal door mat. An hour later I tried to open the door and couldn't - the door mat was too thick to allow the door to swing over it.

So, it's now instal a mat well (Item no. 4634 on the To-Do list) and in the meantime, i.e. for around the next 5 - 10 years, use a large dish cloth.

"I'd be worried if the bottom of the door was high enough to open over a real doormat! " - hence the frequent need for a mat well.

In all my years (lots - believe me!) I've lived in UK houses we've had a door mat outside and another one inside to make absolutely sure. In England at present, we have carpet offcuts extending about 2 metres into the hall too. Even so, when one young-ish offspring came home one day he stll managed to get dog poo on the main carpet.

I too have the inside/outside option at the front but I'm thinking that the dish rag option could be good at my back door.  At least I might not get shouted at so much when I just pop into the house for a vital something-or-other and bring a lump of the garden with me.

Archived