Complete France Forum

Right to a Trottoir

The ground outside our front door (and the entire front of the property) is owned by our commune. In general there is no problem with this except that in the wet and winter times, etc, anyone entering drags dirt and so on, into the house. We have been advised by local neighbours that we are entitled to a 1 metre trottoir from the boundary of our house but when we asked in our Mairie we were advised to the contrary. That said, our Mairie has given inaccurate advise on 3 out of 3 requests for information from us.

DO any of you wizards have any information which I can get access to to help me present my case to the Mairie. Cheers.

My knowledge of the situation (my property limit is my front door) is that the trottoir is owned by the commune but it is you the householders responsibility to keep it clean, tidy and above all safe and sanitary.

We get letters in winter reminding us of our obligations to sweep away the snow, de-ice etc and to make sure that the caniveaus are not blocked.

So your problem is of your own making [6]

I know that they look naff to most Brits but a serpilliere placed inside your front door will take care of your problems and be appreciated by your French guests who are probably embarrassed to have no way of removing your dirt [6] before traipsing it through your house.

I am sorry that this will not help you present your case but perhaps you will have some insight into how they may view it?  - Your commune may be different to mine but I think it is a national thing as you (or hopefully your insurers) are responsible for any public liability claims arising if someone slips on ice etc outside your door wheareas trips or falls caused by broken paving etc are normally the responsibility of the commune.

I should have explained that right now there is no serious finish to the surface of the lane. It has had tarmac a long time ago but this has deteriorated so much its unrecognisable. My intention would be, if allowed, to make a slightly raised concrete surface to allow for exactly as you have described but right now there is no difference between the area of 1 metre from the house and the middle of the lane. Hence the dirt from tractor traffic and wind and rain etc.

Archived