Complete France Forum

A night at the opera - live from Covent Garden

Loiseau

I know this isn't exactly FRENCH culture, but I have finally managed to catch one of the monthly live relays from Covent Garden In a Vendée cinema. I and my friendly banana saw La Bohème on the big screen. (Rather easier to get seats for than in my local London movie-house, where seats are snapped up for these performances months in advance! ) It was also being screened live in Rome, Barcelona, Andorra and Trafalgar Square.

If anybody wants to catch the last of the season - Guillaume Tell - in July, this link will tell you about each production; if you spool down the page you can see what cinemas are showing it.

http://www.rohaucinema.com/saison2014-2015/

The guy at the Notre Dame de Monts cinema tonight told me that next season it will probably be relays from Italy, rather than Covent Garden productions.

Angela

Had a nice little nap towards the end of act 2. Birdie asked if I was bored and wanted to leave, but being a big stiff and stoic banana I remained.

Definitely girlie stuff this, but it was the last of a 42 year run for this particalar Boheme, so we had to think that important.

Opera is still for the buffs, I am afraid; why the heck don't they write some decent story lines. I guess we Brits have got used to musicals and Gilbert and Suvillan, and anything higher up the cultural chain is not really for us masses.

Archived