Complete France Forum

Work Experience in France

Pat76

Hello

I'm not sure where to post this, but here goes-

My son has completed a short work experience in France which was organised by his sixth form college, and we are thinking about him organising one for himself, for next summer, prior to starting university. We wondered about him volunteering at our local Mairie, because we are friendly with the Maire, and we organised a work experience in England for his son last year, so feel reasonably happy about approaching him. Before we do, my question is, would it be allowed? Obviously, I don't want to embarrass him. So, can any helpful person tell me if foreign students would be allowed to work voluntarily in a French Mairie?

Thanks

Pat

• 2 weeks later...
If you are friendly with the Maire then so much the better - you might bring up the prospect in a roundabout way  - eg next time you see M le Maire you could ask if there was anyone in the vicinity who could use some free labour next summer. Or are there any leaflets about the area that could be translated in English, or the village website? You could also ask if his son still feels the benefit of his stay in England.

So no straight questions - let M le Maire come up with the idea so that he feels it is his.

Final idea if nothing else works - have you ever known a French person - maire or not - to be offended by the gift of a decent single malt?

Archived