Complete France Forum

Confit de canard

Alfa

A friend of mine (yes, believe it or not Alfa does have some friends) is in need of information regarding the cooking(re-heating,I think) and serving of the ubiquitous Confit de Canard.
I don't buy food in jars (my wife is a superb cook) so I know nothing !
The traditional method would seem to be: scrape off excess fat, roast until crisp and serve with potatoes cooked in the fat.
I must say it sounds delicious.
Any thoughts on this and other ways of serving this apparently classic dish ?
Alfa.

I find it is easier to remove the duck pieces if you warm the tin before attempting to get them out or they will come to pieces.

I then put the pieces in a roasting tray on a trivet so the excess fat drains off and put them in a pre-heated oven at 180C for about 20-30mins. If you want the skin to be crisp, which is quite difficult as it is naturally soggy from the first method of cooking, I would sear them in a hot pan before placing in the oven and cook for shorter period. I say cook but of course you are actually only heating them up as they have been cooked to the point of nearly falling off the bone.

Be careful searing as they will spit a lot.

You will have a lot of duck fat to use for frying anything that can stand the strong flavour it imparts.

As well as the traditional, very garlicy, potatoes, they are often served on a bed of pasta, like tagliatelle.

That's made my mouth water.

Thankfully in 12 hours I shall be over there and eating.

Pip (19)
http://limousinleisure.mysite.freeserve.com

There is a recipe in Joanne Harris' french cookbook for a tart using the confit of duck.

It has a pastry case, then the shredded duck meat is layered up with sliced potatoes and then (I think, from memory, because I'm not at home and so don't have the book to hand) there is a mixture poured over, possibly milk/egg and then it is all baked. It looks and sounds really good but I have yet to try it.

If anyone is interested in the recipe I will post it when I return after the 27th.

Susie