Complete France Forum

Croissants

Teamedup

I like them warm. I like them dunked into my hot drink, usually good hot chocolate.

We have funny scenes at table when I have english friends over, I must give them the strangest looks when they put butter on them then jam. Then they return the looks when I dunk my ungarnished ones in my bowl of chocolat chaud!

Now if I'm going to have butter and jam, it would be on a fresh baguette and that would be dunked.

I just like them plain with a cup of black coffee. I don't dunk because I don't like all the stuff at the bottom.

Mind you, if I get baguette and honey - I dunk. The contrast from the unsweetened black coffee and honey is delicious.

My husband made croissants once - very time consuming - he didn't do it again, although they were delicious.

As we are in England, we buy the prepared dough in tins of croissants and pain au chocolat and stick them in the overn when we get up on Christmas Day - but they don't taste the same as in France - but we have had some bad ones there. I always associate Dole with bad ones - just bad choice of bakery on the way through!

What about soup - dare you dunk in that? I wouldn't do it in company, but I do like to when alone having soup for a complete meal - and in a stew. Who said "slob"!?!?!?

Jill (99)

Our baker's croissants are so good that it would be a crime to spread anything else on them, though we do provide butter and jam for guests. For the same reason I tend not to dunk, though if we have supermarket croissants they are definitely improved by dipping in coffee.

Will (50)

>I like them warm. I like
>them dunked into my hot
>drink, usually good hot chocolate.

What is it about French hot chocolate? I love it in France, but would never drink it in England - even though we bring back Super Poulain with us.

I've heard people say French milk is awful, so could it be that French milk just makes better hot chocolate? Personally, I don't like milk, so if I were to make hot chocolate here, it would be with a substantial amount of water. Anything chocolate does taste more chocolatey in France anyway - mousse for example.

Jill (99)