Complete France Forum

Figs

Krin

Hi

By the look of my fig tree I'm going to have a glut of figs later this year. What can I do with them? My mum said don't eat too many at one time unless I want to spend the rest of the day in a sitting position in the smallest room.

Thanks

Krin

I think they only cause problems if they are dried... I stuffed myself with them last year without ill effects... and they were used for force feeding for foie gras before maize was imported... turkeys love them... you can dry them, make jam with them - in the uk we tend to use under-ripe ones for this, here (24) they use over-ripe ones - or you can bottle them in syrup. Or I suppose make syrup of figs in case you might ever need it...

Try them with duck, guinea fowl or pigeon breasts.
A bit of (properly home made) madeira sauce, dauphinoise potatoes (or plain boiled Jersey Royals if it's not too late in the season) a few green leaves and a bottle of Chateau Beaucastel C de P and you will find out that there is a God after all !
Makes me hungry just talking about it !
Alternatively:
About half a dozen with a glass of bubbly for breakfast............sublime !!!
Enjoy.
Alfa.

Couple of ideas - fig jam is just to die for, especially using lemon juice as the setting agent.

Or figs wrapped in parma ham, but first cut the hard stalk from the top of the fig, cut a cross in the fig about 2/3 of the way down and put in some blue cheese. Wrap the fig in the ham quite loosely, put in the oven (180 for about 10 mins until the cheese melts) and then serve whilst still at least warm.

Tony Fuller