Complete France Forum

Are you hard at it?

Val_2

Pickling, freezing, making jams and chutneys and other preserves. Ou house smells like a vinegar factory this week with all the red cabbage being pickled and the glut of courgettes being chutney-ed. The freezers are full of different types of beans and other veg so we should have a nice selection through the sparse winter months. Apples can be made into purée,cakes and into bramble jelly which is practically free to make at the moment. Go on, roll up your sleeves and you may enjoy producing some delicious produce.

No I'm not hard at it. In the past I've frozen veggies and made up ratatouille. I've never made jam, we eat so little of it that I never could see the point. Now, well, for just the two of us, I don't bother.

Husband makes up pickled things every couple of years as the quantities he makes last at least that long.

SB. No it's all home grown including the blackberries which we have a huge hedge full of big juicy ones. Apples are not in abundance here this year but have enough and courgettes are still coming on strong. Such a shame to waste it after all the tending and gardening involved,but unfortunately my kids don't like ratatouille so the frozen chunks will go in stews and gratins etc. My son bought a nice cookery book back from Corsica and there is a good easy recipe for courgette fritters done in the chip fryer and they freeze well.

Di spent yesterday afternoon de-seeding "tres fort" chillies - so I have stayed at arms length.

The weather here in north 46 has turned decidedly autumnal and most of our veggies have stopped growing. Courgettes, melons, cucumbers, sweetcorn are over and the last tomatoes will have to redden off indoors. Green capsicums, runner beans and aubergines struggle on but not for much longer - they will soon join their friends in storage. I foresee plenty of work clearing the plots before winter arrives.

Our blackberries are a tad disappointing - mostly small but a few big juicies around. Thought that they were over but yesterdays rain then sun may merit a walk around with a bowl just in case. Still the figs are ripening well - picking about 10/15 per day but many of those that remain are tiny.

Winter veg coming along nicely - cabbage, broccoli, leeks (the few that the b****y voles or whatever leave us) and spinach look good.

As to whether it is all worth it ? Have not had to buy fruit or veg for a while and our stocks should last a few months. We tell ourselves that it tastes better, we know what has not been sprayed, the work fights off the worst excesses of high fat cheese and red wine and we can feel a bit smug about the results of our labours - but I'm glad that I don't have to pay the workers !!

John

Archived