Complete France Forum

How do you make chantilly?

zeb

I made quite a bit of fig jam but didn't use extra pectin so it didn't set very well. So, I've been using it up in apple crumbles and bread and butter puds (ab. yummy).

As we have guests tonight and they are getting a pud can someone (TU?) tell me how to make chantilly cream? I have some of those little green and white cartons of créme entiére de Normandie.

Merci beaucoup.........helen

I would suggest you go and buy some creme fix or chantilly fix powder in sachets or some such thing, it is on the counter in the supermarkets, usually next to  the flour, cake decorations and other sachets of levure chimique and sucre vanille etc.

The reason I'm saying to use this is that sometimes, even with the Elle and Vire I prefer, it will not mount.

So Chantilly,

For one box of cream, around 20cl place in a bowl and add a level teaspoon of icing sugar. Then start to beat. Taste, if it isn't as sweet as you want, add some more icing sugar before you go any further, this is so personal that I think we have to do this to our own taste. Once the sweetness is right, then beat hard and after you have given it a few seconds, slowly dribble in a sachet of the creme fix as you beat.

You should end up with a chantilly that you can pipe.

NB with other make creams I have sometimes ressorted to using a sachet and a half of creme fixe. And sometimes Elle and Vire mounts to a thick cream before I add the creme fixe.

Don't over beat, that is how to make butter.

Sorry it sounds complicated, it isn't, just making sure that you have the best chance of making good chantilly.

Archived