Complete France Forum

Vive le panais

letrangere

Letter in Saturday's Telegraph from chap saying he has for years sent parsnip seeds to his daughter in the Lot et Garonne but now, suddenly, parsnip-growing has become widespread again and panais seed is now available from local merchants.  Must be all those Brits extolling the joy of roast parsnips to their French friends and neighbours.  Makes you wonder what'll catch on next...

M

I've only seen panais on supermarket shelves a couple of times in 23 years. However, we have always been able to buy seeds for them, panais de guernsey, we've always gone to Agri Sud Est.

Might I add that there are none around here at the moment either, but I will certainly be keeping my eyes peeled now. Whilst I was away recently, my husband found rutabaga once and bought some, we've only had them a handful of times since we've been here too.

You are in the wrong department Mrs O.  Saw boxes (2) of parsnips in local Super U this morning.  Looked a bit woody and big to me.  Not like the perfect deformed ones I grow for friends.  Swedes are available too, along with turnips.

Mind, I bet you have lots of exotic stuff in the South.....!  You don't see many olive groves up here!

A lot of people round here grow them and the seeds are widely available; don't know about the vegetables themselves though. (24)

Archived