Complete France Forum

Veau farci

SaligoBay

I bought a piece of veau farci yesterday, and guess what, I don't know what to do with it.

It looks like a piece of roti de porc, do I just roast it in the oven? 

I have one recette here for Poitrine de Veau Farci, but it involves clarifying butter and doing veg au mirepoix, and generally looks very fiddly.

Can you help me to make my stuffed veal experience a memorable one?  Please?   

Bung it in the oven Girl.  Life is to short to stuff a calf.....or something!!

OH says it is just like a roll of stuffed pork.  Except different being veal.

Not something that has caught my eye.  Tend to avoid 'ready done' stuff as it often has cheese lurking.....

Roll it up and then tie it up with kitchen string, this helps it stay in shape and the stuffing stay inside.  Do you need any stuffing recipes, SB?  I seem to recall doing a chicken liver, apple and walnut stuffing once for veau farci.  And make a good gamey gravy as it can be a little on the dry side as it's not quite as fatty a meat as porc.  M 

Thank you.

As Alexis said, it's "ready-made", i.e. already rolled up and highly strung, so I guess it's straight in the oven with it.   Arrosed with something first, of course, I'm sure this is a Good Thing to do.

Not sure about the gamey gravy, Margaret, will Bisto granules do?   LOL, my son thought a granule was a kind of dog.

What would I do without you all? 

No Bisto won't do! Try roasting the stuffed veal on some chopped onion - makes the gravy delicious. Just add a small amount of flour (or none at all) to the onion and meat juices, add some good home made stock, season, strain through a sieve and reduce until you have the desired consistency. Personally I think roasting in a plastic bag makes it steam rather than roast. Only downside is cleaning the oven!

regards

Lisa

Archived