Complete France Forum

Pork with crackling?

Fionah

Hello everyone

Hope you are all ready for the Christmas feasting?  My lot have decided they would like pork this Christmas WITH CRACKLING!  Anyone know how to ask for this at the butchers and even if they do it?  Figure that if I manage to supply the crackling they won't moan too much about my Yorkshire's!

Fiona

Bad news, it is not permited to have real crackling on French pork. You will need to find an English/British shop for this.

John

p.s. Di disputes the above - she insists that you only have to rub the skin with oil and salt but that sounds too implausible for me BTW that's the pigskin not you

I buy a whole leg of pork from the supermarket and the ask the butcher to cut in into three.  I then put them into the freezer until required.  It is the only way I have found to get the crackling, as it is removed from anything else on the shelves.

Judy

Hi John

We were posting at the same time, so I was astonished to read yours when my come up.  I have never had a problem buying pork with the crackling providing, as I said, that it is on a whole leg.  Have bought at various times from our local Leclerc, Geant and Carrefour.  will be heading there this week to get the joint for New Year's Eve.

Judy   47  Lot-et-Garonne.

My my,whats the problem,we have just had pork for tea(not dinner, we`re from the north you know)with loads of crackling gravy etc,no problem this year with anything like crackling we`re having rudolf for dinner in a red wine jus,as well as the"dinde"some nice rioja(`94) and the fizzy as well.Keep the skin of the pork really dry and it will crisp up nicely.

Where do you buy your pork Outcast?  I'm from the South - UK and here in France - and for the 4 years I've been here have only seen 'naked' pork!  We'll be having pork (hopefully with crackling if it can be sorted), turkey, Yorkshire pud, lots of veggies and loads of our local tipple - Blanquette de Limoux. No Rudolph as I'm sure poor old Father Christmas would be very upset to find himself one short!  Hope you enjoy yours though .....

Fiona

We buy our "pig"were ever and when ever it is on offer,auchan last week had a full shoulder for 1.60 euro,s per kilo,it was a shame only we did not need any having a freezer full of allsorts,the full shoulder came to about 10/11 euro,s but you had to dress it yourself,and for that you need a very sharp knife and some twine.Last year  l,eclerc had the same bit for 4 euro,s the piece,no room in the freezer again,:cryingont buy the "long"it,s dry and tasteless and no crackling,belly is best for crackling but would you want to serve that for the day.ps we had the same fizzy for easter from the local cave,sort of a guest wine,demi brut very nice.

I am reliably informed by MOH that by taking the skin with the fat off the pork (when you can get it) and then re-truss it if boned. Insert slivers or garlic before re-trussing into the meat. The flat piece of pork skin (singe the hairs if farm slaughtered) should be scored (use a Stanley knife on a good cutting board or you will score the worktop) or cut into half inch (sorry 12mm) wide strips and then salt and oil rubbed into the wounds. Roast separately from the pork on a trivet (so the fat drains off), do not let it get too brown, and you will have a lovely bit of crackling.

Also works with duck skin - very soft texture.

Too avoid the pork from drying out too much, put some water/white wine in the base of the roasting tin, meat on a trivet, cover with foil for half the cooking time. Juices make great gravy when the bulk of the fat drained off.

Enjoy, Truffleman

A rondelle of porc always has the skin on.  Up here anyway.  As far as I know, it is the top bit of the leg.  Makes good crackling apparantly but I don't like crackling so not eaten it.

Now.  Nice dripping sandwich with just a sprinkle of salt is another story!!

We are having a nice roast of belly pork for lunch today.

[quote]Hello everyone Hope you are all ready for the Christmas feasting? My lot have decided they would like pork this Christmas WITH CRACKLING! Anyone know how to ask for this at the butchers and even if...[/quote]

I buy my pork from Auchan and it's always 'nude' without the 'skin'. This is sold seperately as 'couenne a bouilllir' - must be revolting boiled!!

As it happens we had it for dinner last night. I score the skin into diamonds and rub in lots of salt then lay it across the top of the joint and bung it in the oven. Tender meat and lovely crispy crackling (once I take out the meat after 30 minutes per pound + 30 minutes, I turn up the heat and put the crackling back in for ten minutes to crisp up more (along with the potatoes).

I bought a loin of pork last week and was thinking of all the crackling that Should go with it!!

Anyway looking along the isle at the Carrefour in Limoges I came across something called 'couenne'(sp)

And it was two rolled up skins of pork and all for the pricely sum of €3!!

So we had a lovely Roast Pork dinner with crackling and of course the roast parsnips!!

Amanda

[quote]I bought a loin of pork last week and was thinking of all the crackling that Should go with it!! Anyway looking along the isle at the Carrefour in Limoges I came across something called 'couenne'(s...[/quote]

Amanda,

As I said in the post before yours, the skin is sold as Couenne seperately.

Aside from that I'm astonished that you pay €3 for two rolled pieces as I only pay 48 cents (depending on the pack weight) at Auchan for a pack that is far more than enough to go with a family roast !