Complete France Forum

Cranberries

Val_2

Bit late I know for the festive season but have been working and not had time to post until this weekend. Discovered for the first time in 15 years in France, fresh Oceanspray cranberries in bags in amongst the veggies in Carrefour in St.Brieuc just before Dec 24th. Made fresh sauce, so easy,rinse fruit,add little water and some sugar(I used jam making to make it set thick),boiled ten mins and hey presto ready to eat. Since then I have never seen so many other supermarkets stocking both frozen and bottled cranberries (Airelles) so next yuletide,no need to rely on people coming from the UK with the jars. The same with mincemeat and xmas puds, all the Comptoir Irelandais shops I visited had loads of the stuff and not that expensive either.

[quote]Bit late I know for the festive season but have been working and not had time to post until this weekend. Discovered for the first time in 15 years in France, fresh Oceanspray cranberries in bags in a...[/quote]

Found them in Leclerc too but forgot to buy them!

Found a jar of ancient cranberry jelly "Ooooo good, thought I.  This will do".  Only to find several cm of mould on the top!  So we went without!

Interesting you have mentioned the dreaded mould.

Several of my friends used to give me home made jams. Some of which were wonderful, but we received several jars over a few years that were covered in mould. I have always been told that if there is mould on the top, there is bad culture all the way through. So I would throw them away. One friend took the huff about this and said that one scrapped the mould off and they were perfectly alright. Not being big jam eaters anyway I just couldn't bring myself to do this.

Would we have been OK. Frankly, I personally found it so revolting that I wouldn't have enjoyed it anyway and I'm pretty sure, like some fussy little kid would have been able to 'taste' something strange.

And airelles are often available around here. There are usually frozen ones to be had too. We have been given various fruit sauces with game over the years, I take these separately, not keen on the fruit and the meat together.

Saw fresh cranberries on our local market on new years eve, can`t remember exact price but 2-3 euros springs to mind for the tiny punnet size one usually buys raspberries in.

As for jam with mould on....well my late mum always made jam when we were younger, usually blackberry and apple ,which we picked in the lanes at weekends. When these were sealed with a bit of greaseproof paper pressed in,befor the lid, it was not uncommon for there to be mould under the greaseproof on opening, Mum (or dad) would always take away a good inch off the jam and this was used as normal. Do not ever remember being ill.....though perhaps this contributes to my cast iron stomach!

IF you fill the jar brim full with hot jam and IF you turn it upside down as soon as you have screwed the top on, it should not go mouldy as the jam seals the lid and mouldy germs can't get in.

Usually.

I also bought some cranberries but decided I liked my redcurrant jelly best so ended up chucking 'em. 

Archived