Complete France Forum

Flexi muffin "tin"

zeb

I wrote about these things made by Tefal, a few weeks ago and mine stuck the first time I used them. Then when I tried buttering it first, the butter went cruchy on the cake, not what I wanted although I can imagine that some cakes might be OK like this. So I don't know what to do with the things now.

Mine was marked that it should be in an oven with a temperature of over I think 200° or 210°. My instructions didn't mention not using any sort of cooker, so I imagine that gas would be OK.

Hope you have better luck than me.

I've been looking at these for ages and they are currently on promo at La Foire Fouille. However, I was concerned about the manufacture of these rubbery things and whether or not they would give off a toxic gas or poison the food if cooked with for too long or too hot. I know someone who poisoned his parrot because he left a sheet of teflon in the oven while it was on and the fumes gassed the bird who was on a nearby perch.

Val we haven't gassed any animals but just got disappointing semi destroyed cakes. It is clear that one should not use them in an oven that is too hot.

I was talking to a friend about this. And she and her SIL had bought some of the canape ones between them, they went to a catering suppliers and just one moule sheet cost around £30. That works though, doesn't stick and they can do lovely little entrees in it. Mine too were on offer, and are tefal, never the less, I am unimpressed..

Well done Belinda - keep it up

I have one large flat sheet of this material. It is fantastic for anything you don't want to stick. I tend to make meringues with any egg whites I have left over and have also cooked tuiles and hot dishes. The sheet is meant to be cut to fit any large baking sheet you have. It was expensive but worth the money.

Most cakes are baked at under 200 degrees. They say this sheet works for very hot ovens but as I don't cook much pastry I have not tried it yet.

'Supose you get what you paid for and I might give the muffin tins a try but not till I am back on eating puddings and cakes. 

• 2 weeks later...
I have been looking at these for a long time but have never been too sure if they were just a gimick. Whenever I decide to go and buy one the shop is always out of stock of the particular one I want. I think with hindsight I will invest in some spring action ones. I remember my grandmother saying grease them and then flour them and they will not stick, this is good advice and they will last for years.

Diana

I bought some in the sales but not to use for muffins. My Yorkshire puddings nearly always stick in my tins, so I thought I'd give these flexi ones a go. Maximum temperature for them are 230, so cooked my yorkies at 220 to be on the safe side. FANTASTIC, the best yorkies for ages, and they just lifted out no problems at all

Archived