Complete France Forum

British Resto 'World's Best'

Dick Smith

Hi Dick,

I've not eaten at the Fat Duck, nor at El Bulli, by the way, though I have been lucky enough to have eaten at the French Laundry recently. What I would say, though, is that these two (F.D. and E.B.) both are seeking to be at the cutting edge of inventiveness, with Hestor Blumenthal, as the article said, doing

"molecular gastronomy" -- advanced techniques to develop unusual taste combinations like "smoked bacon and egg ice cream" and "leather, oak and tobacco chocolates".

El Bulli is equally eccentric, from all accounts. I would want to know what criteria are used to decide "the world's best". What I found at TFL, is that the cooking was more or less classically french influenced, and perfectly executed. I've had to totally rethink what I thought knew about several ingredients. Amazing place and I'd gladly go there again.

As for the "have been voted". I quote from further on in the article.

Admittedly, "Restaurant" magazine, which compiled the list, is published in London but its selections are based on the opinions of more than 500 industry experts around the world.

I think there's little doubt that cooking in Great Britain has improved beyond recognition in the last 20 years. I'l have pleasure in posting this link on a french language cooking discussion group! However, despite the disclaimer, I don't pay too much attention to a British Magazine's claims which praise British restaurants. When Michelin says it....

Never eaten at the fat duck though I used to go there when it was just a pub, but I found the Waterside Inn very disappointing. The odd thing I had there was stunning, as was the cost, the clientele were largely famous, but mostly it was pure excess without taste - "get as many expensive ingredients into the dish as possible" and some things were just averagely cooked. Maybe I caught a bad night, maybe I am just plain missing something.

I don't have much faith in these surveys as they assess food and restos by different criteria to me. In the early 90's I travelled Europe quite a lot giving training courses for one of Europe's big management consultancies and so ended up eating with hosts & clients in very expensive, purportedly excellent resto's. I lost count of the times I returned home craving for a nice simple plate of beans on toast or similar, in a friendly pub.

I know, I've got no class!

Hegs - Was the Fat Duck previously 'The Ringers' ?

I think the Waterside was called the Hotel de Paris in a previous life. My mother was born and brought up in Bray and knew both places well before Bray stopped being a 'proper village' with a post office, papershop, grocers etc.

[quote]The Fat Duck at Bray has been voted the world's (yes, this one) best restaurant, and 10 of the top 14 are British.Not many are French (or at least, in France).Full(ish) story athttp://uk.news.yahoo.co...[/quote]

Your Fat Duck was on BBC Breakfast this morning. The chef has written a book combining cookery with chemistry. Dropping merengue mixture into nitric acid and then eating it sounds decidedly dodgy, but no on keeled over! The food served in the restaurant sounds weird - snail porridge! Still, one should never shirk at trying these things. Not sure about that though!

Well I am not to sure about any of this. Do they get the worlds top 500 industry experts, hire a Jumbo Jet and take them round all these placed all over the world, I think not.

Im afraid the statement "Blumenthal, a self-taught chef, has pioneered "molecular gastronomy" -- advanced techniques to develop unusual taste combinations like "smoked bacon and egg ice cream" and "leather, oak and tobacco chocolates", is false as I can claim to have started this 30 odd years ago with my marmalade, cheese and peanut butter sandwiches, Rum and Rasin ice cream with ketchup, curried Mars Bars and few others.

But seriously, the quality of cooking in England has gone up but not by English chef's, its more to do (in London anyway) with the fact that you can get any nationality of food you want. The only place that does English food is pubs and the likes of Beafeaters and Harvesters. Mind you our biggest food export must be Burger King which is owned by Grand Met, not many people know that and assume its american.

[quote]Well I am not to sure about any of this. Do they get the worlds top 500 industry experts, hire a Jumbo Jet and take them round all these placed all over the world, I think not. Im afraid the statemen...[/quote]

Hi Chris,

While I entirely share your cynicism about the validity of the "best restaurant" awards and the methods whereby they decide, I must take issue with you on one thing. You say:-

But seriously, the quality of cooking in England has gone up but not by English chef's, its more to do (in London anyway) with the fact that you can get any nationality of food you want.

Gordon Ramsey, Gary Rhodes, Rick Stein, Jamie Oliver are all British. yes, I know they're all media hyped to death, but they're fine cooks, and most have worked for years in restaurants, making their reputations. Then there are places like "Chez Bruce" and "La Trompette" (Not forgetting Angela Hartnett at the Connaught) where British cooks are cooking magnificent food. I think that there's been a revolution in the quality of (restaurant and home cooked) food in the UK in the last 20 years or so. Yes, it's perfectly true that one can also get world class Chinese, Italian, French, Thai, Indian food in the UK, though I'd argue that you could get much of that for many years.

What I find more impressive nowadays, frankly, is the fact that there are now many British trained chefs turning out excellent food from all over the world and making a good living at it. Restaurants no longer need look for foreign chefs to be sure of having decent food.

Archived