Complete France Forum

Wine Terrorism

graham34

Read the Daily Telegraph on Saturday and there was a half page International News article on a Spanish wine tanker being immobilised and emptied in Clermont l'Herault. The report says the wine was ordered by a "wine merchant" because it's cheaper than the local brew. Quite what sort of wine merchant hopes to sell 30,000 bottles of anything beggared belief. Perhaps it was simply a publicity stunt - the TV crews were there but only a couple of gendarmes. Nevertheless, a serious local issue.

It's also online here

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2005/05/01/wwine01.xml&sSheet=/news/2005/05/01/ixworld.html

(but this may disappear at some stage). Sadly the online version doesn't have the blodd red photo of a tanker pouring out a river of red wine in the street.

Although the article doesn't say, it happend last Wednesday night.

Graham

NB in my avartar I'm holding a glass of Languedoc red.

And I thought the Spanish strawberries I bought in Auchan in Sete on Saturday were devine at 89 cents per 500 gr, when Hubby asked the lady doing promo what the difference was between the  more expensive same size cartons , the answer was `They are FRENCH`!!!!  Mrs O

[quote]Our local paper on Friday had a report of another one, where they set fire to the lorry while the Spanish driver was still in it. Shame, as I find Spanish wine just as drinkable as French wine.[/quote]

I prefer my red served at room temperature!

weedon

[quote]And I thought the Spanish strawberries I bought in Auchan in Sete on Saturday were devine at 89 cents per 500 gr, when Hubby asked the lady doing promo what the difference was between the more expens...[/quote]

Ditto. 5€ per kilo for French ( and not that good) Strawberry's and only 1€ for Spanish ones that have a good taste. I can also see the wine issue. Even very cheap( 1€ litre) is better than French ( 2€+ litre) wine at the moment. We buy most of our wine in Spain now. The only stuff we buy in France is Vin de Table and thats only for cooking.

[quote]Our local paper on Friday had a report of another one, where they set fire to the lorry while the Spanish driver was still in it. Shame, as I find Spanish wine just as drinkable as French wine.[/quote]

That's actually the same incident. I've subsequently found it on the Midi Libre web site under Friday's stories.

Of course the Languedoc has had a boom/bust relationship with wine for 100's of years. At the moment it seems to be boom time for premium wine grown on the slopes i.e. those that retail at say 6+ euros a bottle an up.

Graham

Archived