Complete France Forum

Double Cream & Sour Cream

LJB

Can someone tell me if double cream and sour cream are readily available in France as they are in the majority of UK supermarkets.

If not, any suggestions what to use as a substitute? I use creme fraiche to accompany desserts etc but what type of cream would I use in various recipes which state to use double cream and also if I make mexican food I normally accompany it with sour cream (for chilli, fajitas, etc.). Any suggestions?

The answer has to be no, there is no nationally-available direct equivalent.

This is something that has been discussed here many times previously, and it all seem to come down to two things - regional availability and personal taste. For example our local Leclerc has a 'creme crue' from a local producer that is, to us, virtually identical to British double cream, but as far as I know it is only available in two stores. Of course, here in Normandy, there is a better chance of finding something. Others have tried what appear to be similar products and pronounced them indistinguishable from creme fraiche - the term 'creme crue' does, after all, merely denote that it is unpasteurised. It is also possible to find cream products similar to double cream at markets, but by definition this is also highly localised and what is available at one market probably won't be on sale a few km away. Creme fraiche is, to my mind, not too dissimilar from soured cream, and there are some very good ones widely available, such as Reo and Creme Fraiche d'Isigny.

Products like Fleurette and the Elle et Vire 'boxed' cream appeal to many people but not all - just try them.

Archived