Complete France Forum

Which jam pan?

Chocolate

I need advice as to which jam making pan to buy. I have seen aluminium ones for sale here and also copper (coloured I think) ones. Which is best? I always understood that it wasn't a good idea to use aluminium pans for any kind of acidic fruits as chemicals then leach out of the metal into the foodstuff.

Also what sort of size do I need as I will be making no more than approx. 10 - 12 jars of jam at a time? What is the usual size people use please? How are they measured?

I'm eyeing up the blackberries at the moment, have bought the covers and collected the glass jars and am raring to go!

[quote]I need advice as to which jam making pan to buy. I have seen aluminium ones for sale here and also copper (coloured I think) ones. Which is best? I always understood that it wasn't a good idea to use ...[/quote]

Pointless buying a jam pan which you will use only but once a year.

Get yourself a GOOD large stainless steel pan with a heavy, thick bottom to it. It may cost a lot on the outset but well worth the investment. Sort of a stew pot type thing.

This way you can make your jams, then you use it for your stews or cook your spags in...etc...

I have had mine for now 10 years and it has seen a fair whack of cooking, jam making, boiling etc.... It is 8 inches tall, 10 accross, with a lid, 2 sturdy handles and a thick bottom to it.

I'd guess out of it I could make about 10 jars of jam. In the shops they probably are measured in litres so roughly about 4 to 5 litres perhaps a little more...

Happy jam making!...

Archived