Complete France Forum

Is it the flour or is it me?

Viv

I'm used to my yorkshire puds not rising but not my cakes!

Had neighbour coming round and decided to make, rather than buy, a cake. Used francine gateaux flour and it made a very nice  1" high Breton 'heavy' style cake...but I was trying to make a light victoria sponge!  

I did manage to pass the results off along the lines of its a traditional midlands cake

Is there a better type of flour to use or should I add raising agents?

Francine do a lot of different flours and two are marked gateaux. One is in a gold coloured packet and it also has something like avec levante dedans. The other is white and is simply plain flour.

Saying that, as you may well have bought the gold coloured bag which in theory should have done the trick, I no longer buy Francine SR flour. Sometimes I think that they under dose or even forget to put the rising agent in it. I either buy Intermarche's own brand or Leader Price's own brand, I have never had a problem with either of these AND they are usually cheaper than Francine.

Try my recipe just using plain old ordinary flour for a lovely light cake.

2 eggs  and 6oz castor sugar whisked until very light and creamy.

5oz plain flour and one and a half teaspoons of baking powder seived together. Add gradually into the sugar and eggs above with a WOODEN spoon.

Meanwhile melt 3oz butter into 2fl.oz milk but not really hot. Cool a little and then beat into the above mixture.

Pour the whole lot into a greased and papered cake tin and bake for approx 40mins on gas 4 or about 180°C - you have to regulate it yourself a bit because french gas ovens tend to burn and I am now an electric convert who still cooks a little cautiously. The top should go golden and be firm but springy.

I normally double the above quantities and use an 11" tin which when cooked can be sliced in two and filled as you like. The baking powder I get people to bring from the UK as I havn't found the equivalent here yet.

Archived