Complete France Forum

Longer Stays in France for early retirees - Info please!

If you want to live in France (as opposed to spening a few months here a year) then you pay tax here (unless you have a UK public sector pension), Fisherman.  It is not a matter of choice unless you reorganise your living arrangements also as our o/p is doing.  The advantage is that you will probably pay less tax, but your healthcare will cost a good deal more, especially if you retire before UK state pensionable age.

Thanks Cooperlola

Being self employed I don't have a nice fat public sector pension and probably will have to work until I drop. But the plan is to semi retire, keep our UK home, collect jobs whilst in the UK and do the work on my pc in the idylic suroundings of our french home. Eventually spending about 8 months in France but with our family home still being in the UK.

I would guess that in practice our simple plan may not be so simple.

If you do the work in France, even if for a UK company that is yours, then you pay tax here.  However, depending upon the nature of that work then you can set up as a small business here and get your healthcare that way by paying a percentage of your turnover in "cotisations" (health and social security contributions).  You would pay tax here but, as I say, it's a bit cheaper - especially for a couple.  Do your sums properly and plenty of research and it is possible.  Lots of people on this forum do just what you propose.  If you want something enough, then why not?  At least as long as you carry on working and have an income then you always have the option to go back again.

In essence, the "Freedom of Movement" principle within the EU does not give you the freedom to choose where you pay your taxes and social security contributions - there are strict rules in place for that and some of the reciprocal arrangements, dual tax agreements and national variations make things a bit complicated!

Archived