Complete France Forum

pizza dough

opas

I normaly make my own dough using fresh or dried yeast.  I am car-less for a couple of weeks , did a huge shop befor Mr O went away,just forgot the yeast! what do the girls ask for ?Pizza. went to the baker (the only shop in about 3miles) and he couldn`t/wouldn`t sell me any.

Years ago when we had our boat, we used to make the dough and almost dry fry it on a griddle..cannot find a recipe for it anywhere. I think it contained baking powder...but cannot think what else except flour. anyone out there help satisfy their craving for one of my Pizzas?

Mrs O

I sometimes make one which is a kind of scone mix.  I will see if I can find it.

Have you thought of halving a bagette from old misery guts the baker and popping the topping on that?  Findus or someone used to do that before I emigrated.  I have been known to do garlic bread like that.

Failing that, I brought two tins of yeast back with me.....

Here you are ...

225g self-raising flour

half a level teaspoon salt

65g butter

150ml milk

Sift the flour and salt then rub in the butter.  Add the milk to form a soft dough.  Turn out onto a floured surface and knead.  Either divide into four or make just one then put on a buttered baking sheet.

Add the topping of your choice.  Bake in a hot oven for 20-25minutes until golden brown.

Mmmmmmmm.  It is very filling so be warned but I got quite addicted to it at one time.  The base used to be about an inch thick......

I too usualy buy my yeast in one of the supermarkets but as i said in my orriginal post I am car less at the moment and forgot to add it to my oversized shopping trolley on my last visit.

Alexis...the bigger pizza the better with my two girls ,may give your recipe a try later this week.

Mrs O

This is a very easy recipe for a quick pizza.

6oz SR flour, (farine gateaux)

2 tablespoons olive oil

a little water

Mix to a soft dough, shape and fry in a little more oil.  Turn over, cook the other side, add topping and grill!

Its as easy as that.  Make a good tomato sauce for the topping, with lots of onion, garlic and herbs as you want a fairly moist top and add your usual extras.

Delicious for a quick lunch.

Thats the one!!!  but I`m almost certain that it had baking powder in.

We used to make that when we had our boat, we didn`t have an oven, we thought we`d hit the jackpot when another yachtie gave us the recipe.

we were in tunisia at the time and tomato puree was about 10p per tin, we spiced it up by adding harrissa paste ...hhhottttt

pizza for tea!

Mrs O

Along the same lines found this recently in a "potato cookbook".  Cannot vouch for it as not yet tried it, but sounds interesting!

QUICK POTATO PIZZA

110g (4 oz) cooked potatoes, 25g (1 oz) butter, pinch of salt, black pepper, 110g (4 oz) self-raising flour, 1 tbsp milk

Put potatoes through ricer or mouli then beat in the butter, salt and pepper until creamy.  Slowly add the flour, then the milk, to form a fairly stiff dough.  Roll out to about 20cm (8in) diameter and fry in a greased frying pan until the underside is slightly browned.

Add topping of choice and grill.

My personal favourite is plenty of cheese and pineapple, or mushroom and sweetcorn!

Lou. (Self-confessed pizza junkie!)

Archived