Complete France Forum

Officially sad old dude

Iceni

Well I must be if I spent a weekend making and bottling confit of duck. Totaly sublime as we had some - well you have to have a taste. Also got 3 huge bottles of duck soup from the remains of the carcasses.

Just goes to show that some of us can never get enough duck.

I think I could fall out with you completely about this!

There is nothing whatsoever which is 'sad' about producing good food. As far as I am concerned it is an art, and good artists are worth celebrating, even in this case, if it is just lifting a glass and complementing the cook.

And tasting, how can one cook without tasting, it is practically obligitory. Believe me it is

I remember reading a post some time ago, that you had started bottling ready for winter.

I have never tried this and haven't a clue how you do it, but having a glut of tomatoes and wanting to make a variety of pasta sauces, can you give me some tips or direct me to a decent webpage?

I think I'd like to try this rather than just freezing stuff en masse.

Living in one huge room while the renovation goes on I did not go for the gas ring and metal can variety of steriliser but John bought me an electric one which will also cook (if you ever need to cook for 500 people). I bought a good book on the net very cheaply http://www.thewritefrenchlife.com/bottlingcontent.html at €4,50. It is an e-book but I print out what I need, there are loads of veggie recipes and we had one tonight.

I bought another good book in one of the supermarkets (probably Carrefour but you have to root about) - it is a small book - A5 called 'La cuisine des placards' ISBN 9 782879 016306 and covers Terrines, bocaux and confitures. I did loads of research on 'canning' which is US for bottling and they are paranoid and will not bottle meat unless they have a pressure canner - I follow the French recipes and use a temp of 100 for meat dishes. Tomatoes are about the easiest but it will be a great expense if you only want to do a few bottles.

On Total France, the husband of Hard Working Hippy has written instructions for using the normal gas/bin type and there are lots of other tips on the thread as well http://www.totalfrance.com/france/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7721&highlight=bottling+sterilising

It is a bit of an expense at the beginning and John always seems to be coming in with half a dozen bottles of one size or another. On Christmas day we will have peach compote and peach liqueur - seems a suitable day for tasting - and confit of duck - well what else . Once you get going people give you bottles (the rubber ring type) and they are great.

The person who really got me into it is Ian Hoare, but I imagine he and his wife are still too busy with their B&B and will be back on the board when they have recovered. If you give it a go, let us know how you get on, it becomes addictive.

Archived