Complete France Forum

Gingembre au sirop

Polycarpe

Does anyone know if stem ginger in syrup is available in France. I've searched in Geant, Leclerc, SuperU, all the usual suspects only to be told repeatedly, "Ca n'existe pas.". Even the elderly and knowledgable owner of our local Bio shop didn't seem to know what I was talking about.

In the UK its often found in the cake making section and is produced under the Sharwoods label.

Any sightings on this side of La Manche? Any suggestions gratefully received.

I have not yet found any but I did buy some "gingembre confit en tranches" (crystalised ginger) in Géant (Aurillac 15) during the annual "let's go asiatic" week during the Chinese New Year celebrations.

It's made by Mo-ly and importde from China by Tang Frères S.A., 48 avenue d'Ivry, 75013 Paris.

It might be worth looking in the foreign food section of a large supermarket...

Thank you all very much for the comments.

Viva, I checked the site you suggested. It did have chrystalised ginger which would serve my purpose (ginger cake with sharp lemon icing) but at 8.15 euros a jar, its a bit too pricey. Almost three times more expensive than our pricey fromagier's pricyest mature Comté. Thanks anyway.

I shall have to pay for Maman to have hold luggage next time she flies Ryanair so that she can pack a load.

Catalpa. Thanks for complimenting me on my staircase. Sadly its not mine. How I wish it was! It is in the bell tower of the church at St Polycarpe, nearby. It is my photo, however.

Best wishes to all.

[quote user="Alan"]I have only seen it once about 2 years ago, have to get friends to bring it over.I was wondering how its made and if it could be made from ginger root[/quote]

It is made from  fresh ginger root and I used to know someone who used to make it.  I seem to remember that you scrape/peel the ginger, cut it into appropriate size pieces and then simmer it  very gently in a strong sugar syrup for a very long time - at least 9 or 10 hours rings a bell,  topping up the syrup when required.  Sorry but cannot remember any qantities.  I suppose that the length of time required for the syrup to penetrate right through depends on the size of the pieces.  I did try it once but I think I cut it too small and it went a bit soggy before the sugar went all the way through.

Not seen as a hijack I hope, but for those who use fresh ginger  in oriental cooking, you can stick it in the freezer unpeeled and when you want some, grate the required quantity from frozen and put the rest back in the freezer for next time.  Saves wasting it, but not suitable for using for ginger in syrup, that must be fresh.

Anne

Archived