Complete France Forum

Socio-economics of pizza!

SaligoBay

I think ours could best be described as 'adequate' size-wise here in Normandy. They are very tasty though, the pizza place 6km down the road does the most authentic ones I've tasted outside Italy, which rather contradicts the idea in the article that the French just put on whatever you like.

With all the talk of chav pizzas it reminds me of Harry Enfield's Wayne and Waynetta Slob characters, and where we lived in Sussex. Harry spent his teenage years in that village, and I used to see the pair who must have been the role models for Wayne and Waynetta in the local Budgens loading up the trolley with frozen pizzas. That should say it all as far as the socio-economic implications are concerned, but the place was both archetypal middle-class commuter-land (the TV series Ever Decreasing Circles was filmed there, and Harry's Dad, the typical 'old git' Edward still lives there) and home for more than its fair share of nouveau riche - numerous actors, and members of Pink Floyd and Genesis for example.

The biggest and best pizzas I have found are at a restaurant in Morlaix just off the old town square if there are four of you having them the table disappears[:D] They have a very authentic thin crispy base and they are not overloaded with toppings, to echo Will the best I have found outside of Italy mind you we have had some bad ones there[*-)] as for the size .... if I say they are 2ft wide by 18inches I am not exaggerating [;-)] but because they are thin and lightly topped not too much(well OK you don't want anything else that day [;-)]) The one problem is they do not fit on the plates so it's a bit tricky cutting them [:D]The Hotel du Lac in Huelgoat does a pretty good pizza as well[:D]

Oh dear  does that make Morlaix a really bad area ???? I think it's very nice myself [;-)]

well I must live in a slum because I`ll wager that my homemade pizza is bigger and tastier than anything you could buy in a resto or freezer. the tray I use fills the shelf in a standard oven.

the favorites at the moment are chorizo, or ham and blue cheese or tuna with anchoves.........loads of cheese and a base that is not too thin and crispy nor doorstep dough!

Best pizza I have had is in Le Goumand in Brides Les Bain (bottom of the gondola from Meribel)  The owner big dave is sicilian.  We used to go in for one every night and after a hard day on the slopes we would share a few.  It would arrive and we would sit there chomping away saying nothing....just giving each other full eye contact and nodding...  Actions speak louder than words.

I purchased a groll from him also.  An asian girl in customs took me in for questioning over it.  I think she mentioned bong (whatever that is)

By the way Hi Opas, nice to see you.

I remember having an excellent pizza in La Roche Bernanrd in Brittany severl years ago.

Our local supermarché has started selling fresly made pizza dough (semi-cheating I suppose) and I've made some lovely ones recently.  Trouble is, if you forget about it and leave it in the fridge for a couple of days you open the door an think Alien has taken over - it just keeps getting bigger an bigger!!!!  the dough that is[:P]

Archived