Complete France Forum

Just built a woood oven...

Dog

Just built a wood fired bread/pizza oven and have been slowly drying it out and now it is ready to use. Does anyone else use a wood fired oven?

It is curry night sunday night so it's naan bread first from the oven with the green tomato curry, okara curry, spicy chick peas, aubergine and potato with tamarind sauce plus the onion bhajees and popadums....... mmm

Pizzas next...

you mean one like this one:

http://chauffour24.free.fr/pizza.htm

i imported it from italy and built it here... started the Massimo's Pizza Club, best pizza in Dordogne...

before you use it you have to light once a day for 4 or 5 days, then each time start a big fire 2 hours before start cooking.

and the naan bread is fantastic, we make a lot of it and freezes well.

Good looking oven, ours is an earlier more traditional design a bee hive oven made from old terracotta floor tiles, chimney bricks plus sand and clay from the garden. The only thing we had to buy was refractory cement. Total cost €150.

We are working our way through various naan recipes and it's pizzas next!

Why didn't you put your flue through the roof?

[quote user="Chauffour"]because it's the first roof i have even built.. so i had no idea how to do it.. but it seems to work like it is...[/quote]

Definately the way I would do it too if my son wasn't a roofer.....

I'd post a pic of our basic oven but don't know how too.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote user="missyesbut"]>>>I was wondering what sort of treeees were used for the wooood.<<< Possibly beeeech and oaaaak or could have used plaaaane or aaaashhhh[/quote]

If it was beeeech or oaaaaaak or plaaaaaane it would soon be aaaaaaashhhhhhh!!!! Daft budgerigarrrrrrrr! (I tried buggar, well nearly, but the sensor wouldn't let me??)

John.

[quote user="Dog"]Just built a wood fired bread/pizza oven and have been slowly drying it out and now it is ready to use. Does anyone else use a wood fired oven? It is curry night sunday night so it's naan bread first from the oven with the green tomato curry, okara curry, spicy chick peas, aubergine and potato with tamarind sauce plus the onion bhajees and popadums....... mmm Pizzas next...[/quote]

Can I come??

I haave maanaged to get the red wine aand gorgonzolaa out of the O key. Meaanwhile haave aan aattaack of Saauvignon Blaanc and AAple pie in the AA key. I must get aa cover for my keyboaard.

Pizzaa in the Caave maan in Braantome gaave me his recipe for dough and it is aabsolutely greaat.

Archived