Complete France Forum

Unconvential way to cook salmon

vervialle

I am cooking this in England tonight and guess what , I have a salmon kettle in France but not in England, I eat more fish in France as it is difficult to get fresh fish in England it looks sad in supermarkets, so I only buy it from the local fisherman who sell it in Walton  on the Naze on Thursday ,on the beach.Anyway I was given a large salmon today, so I wrapped it on tinfoil with fresh lemons and dill and tied it up with string and put it on a number two programme in the dishwasher, I have done this many times and it cooks beautifully,it really is O.K.I seem to do an awful lot of cheating with cooking, cooked three large potatoes peeled ,cooked  in the microwave for 10 mins sliced and crisped up in a pan with fresh basil and bacon.My boys love them.Just thought I would share it with you as no one has posted for a while.

I did try this years and years ago (I seem to remember it was after far too much to drink) and I agree, for really big fish, it does work. You have to remember - and fortunately the friend I was with reminded me - that one does not add the detergent to the little compartment prior to cooking.[:-))] It did work, it tasted perfectly okay but it was, we decided later, not the most ecologically friendly way to cook salmon from a water conservation point of view.[:$]

I used to do quite a lot of outside catering for weddings and I always cooked whole salmon in the dishwasher two or three at a time, and they really turn out lovely.I will admit the dishwasher does smell a bit fishy afterwards, but with the lemon type dishwashing powders it goes with the first wash afterwards.Give it a try,it really does work.

[quote user="catalpa"]fortunately the friend I was with reminded me - that one does not add the detergent to the little compartment prior to cooking.[:-))][:$][/quote]

What about the rinse-aid that is in the reservoir?

>>>I am cooking this in England tonight and guess what , I have a salmon kettle in France but not in England, .....I was given a large salmon today, so I wrapped it on tinfoil with fresh lemons and dill and tied it up with string and put it on a number two programme in the dishwasher, I have done this many times and it cooks beautifully,<<<

I remember watching a cookery program few years back and this woman (can't remember her name) presenting the program was given the task of doing a tea for a village tournament at cricket.

She commendeered the cricket pavillion. She put 3 or 4 regular home kettles on the boil. Firmly plugged the sink and lined it with clean teaclothes, wrap the 2 salmon in foil with lemon etc... Put those in the sink, poured over them all the hot water from the kettle, put some kind of chopping board over the top that no steam escaped and no one would see what was inside... She went on to watch the cricket match as if nothing in the world would phase her.

A couple of hours later, towards the end of the match, she stirred herself a bit and lined up plates, cakes, tea-cups, sarnies etc... and unwrapped her 2 salmon...

By that time I was thinking that she has made a real booboo with this !

Blow me down!... These 2 salmon were perfectly cooked!! but the bones were left on the plates!...

Archived