Complete France Forum

Has anybody read....

Chris Head

'roast chicken and other stories' by Simon Hopkinson? It's beautifully written with some really lovely stories and recipes. I've never been much of a one for following recipes but Simon Hopkinson writes with such conviction that I feel compelled to taste what he's put into words.

Chris

His new one is just as good.  "Second helpings of Roast Chicken".  It hasn't been out long.

I saw on Amazon the other day that it is reduced by 30%.  Well, one of them is.

Grrrrrhh....[:@]

Too quick off the mark again.

I wonder if it is anything like Toast by Nigel Slater, a journey through his childhood based on his food associations such as him thinking that Butterscotch Angel Delight was a magic food because of the way it set before your eyes, Heinz Treacle Sponge being a posh Sunday pudding and hot Bovril drinks and Jammy Dodgers after school swimming lessons (sorry that was my memory not Nigels).  Such a lovely book, if you are over 40 you will remember all the things he talks about.

No, nothing at all like "Toast".  The first time I read "Toast" I couldn't believe what a whinger Slater was  - always someone elses fault, never him -  but the second time, it was better.

I enjoyed Simon Hopkinson and found it a very interesting read.  I hadn't a clue who he was before the first book was recommended to me by people on a cookery site.  Apparently, "The Prawn Cocktail Years" is the book to have but it isn't on Amazon unless you want to pay nearly 200 quid.... for an old one!

I will just dash aross there and check up again.[:D]

Yes. What a tremendous read, as was his other chicken book! Never imagined there were so many things you could do with a chicken, and so simple too. Great for dinner parties - looks like you have made loads of effort beforehand. And this coming from a cordon bleu chef!

Bluedog

Archived