Complete France Forum

Regime Forestier

PeterG

Generally, the 'régime forestier' is a set of rules and protocols governing the use, management and protection of publicly owned woodland in France.

see for eg http://www.onf.fr/communes_forestieres/sommaire/reperes/regime_forestier  (sorry but the link icon doesn't seem to be working)

Without knowing more about your property title and your land I can't be any more helpful.

Have you just bought the property, and if so did the Notaire or your legal advisor refer to this matter during the transaction?  Or has something like a boundary dispute just cropped up ?

Office National des Forêts

The Régime Forestier (Forest Plan) is primarily a set of safeguards for the long term preservation of the forest.  It offers protection status against dispositions, deforestation, degradation, overexploitation and abuse of enjoyment.

It is also a management regime whose objective is to ensure the renewal of timber resources, other products and services provided by forests, and their availability to future generations.

The above link provides a plain language overview of the scheme.

EDIT: Post crossed with Polly...

I (We) bought the property about 15 years ago, its half owned by my brother. There was NO mention of this clause by the Notaire at the time of purchase (There was a remembrement going on at the time). Its become a problem because I wanted my brother's half transferred to me (A private arrangement no money has to change hands, the Notaire (not the same as used to purchase) has been looking into this since 2005 but has finally given up and refunded my money) but the Notaire has said that this clause prohibits the transfer before the year 2019. This seems very strange to me. Part of the land is designated as woodland but it is all private land.

This is obviously then a complicated little legal matter which is not

going to be resolved in a forum like this, we'll all end up going round in circles with people giving their own opinion based on 'blah blah blah'. You need to take legal

advice. For an English-speaking advisor you could look at the

French Property News business directory, legal section, to find someone.

http://www.french-property-news.com/france-business-directory-directory-search--3966

Do ask for a quote for services before engaging anyone, they are

obliged to tell you their prices +VAT/TVA, usually hourly rate or a

'fixed price' deal. They may give you a quick free informal opinion,

but to do this they will need a decent summary of the FACTS from you

and copies of the docs.

Good luck!

Archived