Complete France Forum

Shredded Suet

Quillan

Thinking of Xmas pud, steak and kidney pud and a bit of spotted dick or sticky toffee pudding can anyone tell me what the French equivalent is to Shredded Suet and its name in French? Failing that can you make it and if so how and what are the basic ingredients in France called?

We used to use Atora and don’t know if this product is available here in France.

Many thanks in advance.

My butcher only managed to get hold of this once for me. The abbatoir doesn't send it with the kidneys, I suppose it goes into something else, somewhere else.

I have used hard grated butter in xmas pud or sweet mincemeat if I haven't had any in. I think that Best of British sell suet.

My butcher only managed to get hold of this once for me. The abbatoir doesn't send it with the kidneys, I suppose it goes into something else, somewhere else.

I have used hard grated butter in xmas pud or sweet mincemeat if I haven't had any in. I think that Best of British sell suet.

Just after I told my husband it was impossible to find in France (mainly because I didn't want t make a steak and kidney pudding) he looked it up in the dictionary and the very next time we were out shopping we saw it in a butcher's window!  I haven't seen it since though and that was about 3 years ago.

I have been able to get Atora from time to time in the English section at Intermarchés in Chalais and also in La Roche Chalais.  I sometimes get Cathedral City Mature Cheddar there as well.  I have to confess to a touch of greed [6] and when I see Atora available, I usually buy a couple of packets and put them in the freezer.

Quite agree that fresh is so much better than packet.  I'd almost given up on making traditional Christmas puds over here but my village butcher didn't turn a hair when I asked - very tentatively - for some "graisse de rognons".  He asked me what it was for and told me beef suet might be rather too strong so he suggested veal.  He just popped into his cold store and came back with a huge lump which he wrapped up and handed over absolutely free!  He butchers his own meat so I think any proper butcher would be only too happy to give the crazy English a part of the animal he doesn't have any use for.

We sampled one of my puds the other day (just to make absolutely sure they were OK - at least that was MOH's excuse - and it was scrummy. 

Happy Christmas cooking to all!

Mrs Hoggie

Archived