Complete France Forum

Navettes

opas

Cheers JayJay, I thought I could get away with doing that. As another poster said , they don't have a great deal of taste but add a different flavour to a casserole/

Tonight I am going to roast a couple along with the spuds.........hope they turnout as good as parsnips!

Excuse me.... but.... turnips are NAVETS (masc.) , not navettes.Une navette is the coach run from the station to the airport[:D] which is why I looked at the thread, wondering....thank you for providing me with a good laugh though.

PS - I too use  navets in  soup, or couscous. Or I mix them with carrots when I make ginger carrots. Cooked long and slow with slivers of ginger, barely covered with soya sauce, water, and sesame oil, then sprinkled with roasted sesame seeds.

Thats why my search for frozen busses drew a blank[;-)]

But you see, my navetes are long like parsnips, turnips to me are small and round........these are obviously a differen variety.

PS not good roasted......very bitter.

So it sounds like a variety of radish, similar to the long black Spanish radish, but not tasting quite so peppery?  - known as mooli in Asian shops, or daikon in Japanese[6]? Here they still call them navets.

In that case, you're right, not nice roasted. Use as radish - there is a lovely way to prepare them which involves grating them, adding salt, letting the salt draw the moisture and then throw out the juice (or drink as it is excellent for liver cleansing!), then add a mix of rice vinegar and sugar. If I remember right.

Archived