Complete France Forum

Seville Oranges

Llwyncelyn

Oranges am\eres (de Séville) pour la confiture. I've not seen them in any of the Grandes Surfaces but at least one of our local greengrocers had a batch in (a couple of kilos of which combined with some ordinary Glenmorangie and some Lagavullin 16 to make seven pots of each kind of marmalade).

This morning I realised I'd forgotten to buy marmalade so made some with a few shrivelled  specimens plus a lemon and some grapefruit juice, like you Jayjay. The result was tasty and the mixture set very quickly. But would probably be better with Seville oranges.Pat.

• 3 weeks later...

Last week I was in Villedieu Les Poeles and saw the Sevilles at 1.90 per kilo.  I bought three kilos and whilst chatting the lady in the shop said that she regularly gets them in season for around Villedieu there are lots and lots of English.............................I asked her how many Welsh people and she could not answer that.

Indeed the French seem to generalise a lot and one friend today did not even understand the concept of England Scotland Ireland and Wales.

I thought a little later do I?

I read in a magazine that they are also called bigarades.There's a fete des bigarades in the village of  La Caunette in Herault 34 the weekendof 25th-26th Feb. The 6 main varieties will be on show. So must be some available then. Pat.

Archived