Complete France Forum

Sausage making

David

We have started making our own British style sausages, with very impressive first results.

However, we really need to find some mace.  Can anybody recommend a supply of mace in North Deux Sevres?  We would also like to find some sausage skins, as presently we fry the meat without skins.

Thanks,

David

I often see sausage skins in our local Intermarché, saw some yesterday but I can't remember what they were called.  They were in the pork area of the packed fresh meat fridge.  Sausage fillers usually come with the attachment packs of French mincing machines. 

I have occasionally looked for mace here for a particular recipe but have  I am afraid that I have not been able to find any.

No I know it is the same plant, but mace has a taste of it's own and really makes a sausage taste like a sausage.

Last time I made sausage and put skins on, well it needed two of us and we were laughing so much, how we managed, I have no idea.

I buy my skins and sausage kits (all the herbs in a pack for proper cumberland sausages) and just add the rusk from  http://www.sausagemaking.org
they ship to france and are very quick, the skins are much better than some from ebay and the sausages are just like M&S's cumberlands.
I made 86 sausages by hand one day with my hand mincer and then refused point blank to make any more until I had an electric mincer, now all i'm waiting for is poitrine to come back on special offer.
I used 100% poitrine, trim the fat and skin but found pork shoulder not fatty enough.
Any other tips for meat cuts ?

link edited by a mod

I have been making sausages for years, the thought of putting them in skins turns my stomach and how would you do it.The great thing is minced pork is fairly cheap in the u.k and you can add whatever you like, I love chili and coriander with a little sundried tomato and sometimes I add sage and onnion stuffing mix dry, I always make them in my food processor, they take minutes and no additives, brilliant for little ones, I do them in animal shapes for kids, they love them and almost  forgot,scotch eggs are so much nicer.

[quote user="powerdesal"]We buy 50g packs of mace (unground-the expensive form!!!) called 'javrati' in hindi, for a bit less than 50p. I am tempted to bring a load back to France on my next visit and supply all you sausage lovers.
[/quote]

Thanks for the tip.  I'll get some from Doha this spring.

Vern

Archived