Complete France Forum

Spaghetti carbonara & eating out in UK

RumziGal

This is one thing that is vastly superior in the UK!    Had some yesterday in an Italian restaurant, and it was just as it should be, with cream and eggs and bacon.

I've had it twice in France (having assumed that the first time was a horrible exception!) and they give you a plate of plain spaghetti with the ubiquitous fatty lardons.........  and a raw egg. [+o(] No cream.  By the time the spaghetti is delivered to your table, it's no longer warm enough to do anything to the egg.  Yuck!  [:D]

I have to say that I'm really enjoying the variety available here in the UK.   Italian, Indian, Chinese, pizza, and there are plenty pubs that do decent food too.

The downside is that I'm now FAT, but hey, it's the price you pay for happiness, cos I do like my food!  [:D]

Sigh of envy from my kitchen about the Indian and Chinese!

Finding decent ingredients for exotic cooking is a major underatking from la France profonde !

After a stint in an Italian restaurant in Worthing, I can do a Carbonara[:D]. I can't guarantee it's authentic, but is as shown by my Italian bosses...

Hi Rumzigal,

Whereas I can't vouch for the cooking in the particular resto you went to, I have to say that the ingredients sound correct. Authentic Carbonara (a la romana) should have no cream. The beaten egg should be added to the onions, bacon and al dente pasta, after the heat has been swithched off. If stirred a little, the ingredients will continue cooking and if served straight away, the egg will impart a creamy texture of its own. Only if the egg is over-cooked will it become dry.

While the old charcoal burners of Rome could lay their hands on a onion, pancetta and an egg, dairy prods like cream were less available.

Try it at home. You'll do better than many restaurants would.

Hi Polycarpe, not sure which resto you're referring to, the UK or Montpellier!

The Montpellier ones may have had authentic ingredients, but as you point out, you mix the egg in in the pan, not after you've served the spaghetti into dishes and left it to cool down for a while!  [+o(]  

The UK one with the cream was lovely.   Cream turns up in a lot of Carbonara recipes, although more in the English ones than the Italian ones.

I'd rather have cream than a raw egg in its shell!   I'm happy with cream!  [:)]

I'm happy with cream as well. I think the nice pasta dishes I have had in France could be counted on the fingers of one hand (and they were all in an Italian resto that I know Dick Smith goes to as well, and what better recommendation than that?). They do tend to do pizzas quite well though. The thought of a carbonara done 'traditionally' but without the pasta being piping hot so the egg never gets cooked properly and quickly is quite disgusting. I used to live in Worthing many years ago and there were some good Italians, as well as some truly awful ones. I hope Clair was in one of the authentic ones.

I had a wonderful steak in a pub in England yesterday evening. The French ones can be very good, if you go for the better cuts rather than the bog standard entrecôte but this was the equal of anything I have had in France, and it came with decent chips as well. I'm not saying that you can't get good chips in France, we know a couple of places that do wonderful ones, but in general they aren't that good. OK, the main course cost almost as much as the whole three or four courses in the average Normandy resto, but it was well worth the money, and just shows that the French don't have the monopoly. I know it's heretical to ccompare food in the two countries, but I feel like living dangerously [:D].

Steak and chips! I'd forgotten such things existed. Mmmmm.....

As for authentic recipes, the main rule for cooking as for life is adapt, adapt, adapt!. I'll always follow a recipe to the letter the first time; after that, I do what suits me. 

If carbonara with cream is to your taste then go for it. But if ever you're in Aude and want to go back to basics, come round ours for a trad carbonara.

Archived