Complete France Forum

foie gras

Chauffour

hi all, well I have to admit to never having cooked foie gras - only bought it previously. Now I have bought a vacuum packed fresh one, but I want to make foie gras pan-fried with a raspberry vinegar reduction:

Question is, should I poach it first & what's the best way, then quickly pan fry it (risk of it melting/breaking)....or should I take a chance & slice it & pan fry from fresh?

any help apreciated. I plan to soak it in milk tomorrow to help remove the veins, etc. I need to cook/serve it on Wednesday

thanks

I always slice, wrap it in cling film and freeze it. When I want to use it  I just take it out of the wrapper and fry it, in a heavy duty non stick pan. Heat the pan until you can feel a good heat rising and fry for 2 minutes on either side, obviously there's not need to oil the pan. By freezing it first you don't have to worry about it breaking up when you cook it. I serve it with balsamic vinegar (reduced), home made peach chutney and toasted brioche.

aj

[quote user="Chauffour"]

I plan to soak it in milk tomorrow to help remove the veins, etc.

[/quote]

At the foie gras demonstration evening I went to at our local resto they de-veined it by bringing it to room temperature , putting it on it's 'back' and gently teasing out the veins with their fingers and small sharp knife.  It was very easy to do.  I would pan fry slices directly.

Archived