Complete France Forum

Smelly Cheese

Ian

[quote user="Ian"]My wife really dislikes smelly cheese - while I love it.  (Don't worry - We are compatible in many other ways[;-)])

What is regarded as the smelliest cheese? Your nominations please...
[/quote]

is "many other ways" a cheese I've not heard of?

If we can go outside France, hows about Meinz hand casser mit music. It doesn't just hum, it howls. On a course in Meinz I was banned from the same table as the other English guys when I ordered it after the meal. But what a wonderful taste. The 'mit music' was a vinegar and onion sauce tat went with it for the strong at heart... Lovely stuff! In France a good, well matured Munster takes some beating, but once again has a lovely taste!

Different food, but on the subject of smell. I never managed to get passed the smell of durien fruit when I was in Singapore for a couple of years in the R.A.F. It is supposed to taste like strawberries and cream, but eaten in the smelliest toilet in S/pore and some of them used to STINK!

In the Auchan in LM, one particular part of the cheese counter is always packed with the smelliest stuff they can find..  all those mentioned here, Munster, Liverot, Chaumes etc etc...  As you walk past, it really does seem as though the entire population of the building has just taken its shoes off.

Or what about Epoisses, so smelly that it's banned on the Paris Metro?  I've never had the privilege of sniffing one, but apparently it has a rather similar pong to Stinking Bishop cheese, and that has a whiff so potent that only its mother could love it [+o(]

In the interests of family harmony you can get a cheese-keeping box from Tefal. It sits in the fridge and has a  filter in the lid so air can get at the cheese but the pong is contained within. Stops everything else in the fridge tasting of the cheese.

Tefal Cheese PreserverYou can get it from Lakeland in the UK and doubtless lots of other suppliers in france

[quote user="chrisb"]In the interests of family harmony you can get a cheese-keeping box from Tefal. It sits in the fridge and has a  filter in the lid so air can get at the cheese but the pong is contained within. Stops everything else in the fridge tasting of the cheese.

You can get it from Lakeland in the UK and doubtless lots of other suppliers in france[/quote]

I've got one of these, but it was defeated by some lovely tasty soft tanguy Rocamadour goat cheese... [:D]

Archived