Complete France Forum

Mushroom books

CeeJay

For the past ten years I have, regretfully, ignored all those who dash off into the forests, or wherever, to hunt for mushrooms. Ours are pure 100% SuperU types.

This year I am determined to join that happy breed of mushroomers but am anxious to collect the right ones. Is there a book available in English about mushrooms to be found in France and hints and tips on where to go.

I have found making friends with a knowledgeable local the best source of info - we really enjoy mushrooming and all that scrambling around is pretty good exercise too!  I'd enjoy a good book on the subject so will await other replies...

I would too Ian as we have quite a few in our garden.  Being relatively new and totally NEW to thinking of eating something growing in our garden (not got round to planting anyting edible as we are only holidaying - not for too much longer I hope!!) but is it true you can take a mushroom (fungus) to the Pharmacie (read this somewhere!) and they will tell you whether it is AOK to eat?? 

All if not most (?) of the pharmacists are trained in the recognition of champignions and are only too glad to help. A wonderful idea in my humble opinion... I am looking forward to reminding a good French friend tomorrow that he hs promised to take me one morning, very early, to go cep hunting in the Black Mountains!!

I have been mushrooming in the Black mountains - my wife, two Brit visitors and I spent a very enjoyable couple of hours rummaging about then descended and took our haul over to our neighbours - we had at least a dozen (20+ perhaps) types and sub-types of mushroom. All were pronounced safe to eat but only the cepes (penny bun or porcini) and pied-de-mouton (don't know the correct translation...literally "sheeps foot" of course) were worthwhile eating.

And they were delicious

Ditto - I want a mushroom book also ...  however, even with a book I do think its going to be quite difficult for a newbie to feel confident about what they are picking.   My newly retired neighbour, born/bred in this area, comes from farming stock, always mushrooms, but even she told me that she is only 100% confident of 4 different types, and anything else she leaves well alone.   She has also said she will always check anything I find, so, like Ian, it is always worth waving anything you find at a knowledgeable neighbour - but do make sure they are knowledgeable first (that is if the pharmacy is not open - not sure I could quite bring myself to trot down pharmacy with mushrooms, but good luck to anyone who is more confident than I and willing to have a go !)

I have a wonderful book 'Common Fungi of Great Britain and Europe' (doncha just love the title?) and this book is full of glossy photos and drawings of hundreds of wild mushrooms.  So many in fact that when you come accross a mushroom it's next to impossible to find it in the book, not least because the specimin is not as 'perfect' as the photo.  Also, there is the situation where there are 2 similar mushrooms, one is the most delicious thing in the world and the other will kill you stone dead.... Hmmmmm.  I would like to go out with an experienced collector I think but I know they guard their hunting grounds carefully.

I was also told that if you eat wild mushrooms, always keep one uncooked, so the toxicologist can find out what ails you [blink]

Our main book is "Mushrooms and other fungi of Great Britain & Europe" by Roger Phillips, Pan Books. Yet another catchy title. It gives reall good gen including what they look like cut down the middle, the top view of the caps and the underside. They don't show just perfect specemins, they also show what they look like in the fiels, so to speak, complete with the muck on the bottom of the stalks... It gives the edibility too.

Some really go a fantastic colour when they are cut!

A really good book!!

I have wondered for a long time now[8-)]. Who was stupid enough to try the different fungi to find out if they were edible or if they killed you?[:-))] Along the same lines, who was the person that thought about putting olives in salt to make them edible. If you like olives and have not tried it then just try picking one off a tree and try eating it. It won't poison you, but it will take a while to get the taste out of your mouth!! Believe me! I love olives, when they are prepaired...

[quote user="Jonzjob"]

Who was stupid enough to try the different fungi to find out if they were edible or if they killed you?[:-))] Along the same lines, who was the person that thought about putting olives in salt to make them edible.[/quote]

Who was the first person to find out that sharks-liver-oil is good for haemmaroids?

[quote user="Ian"][quote user="Jonzjob"]

Who was stupid enough to try the different fungi to find out if they were edible or if they killed you?[:-))] Along the same lines, who was the person that thought about putting olives in salt to make them edible.[/quote]

Who was the first person to find out that sharks-liver-oil is good for haemmaroids?

[/quote]Did the first person who ate a snail try a slug first?

[quote user="Jonzjob"]

Crikey Coops, ours is the paperback at £17 and it isn't that old either??? It looks like they do a gold version too at £422.37! Might well be worth getting that one [8-)][:-))]?

[/quote]Perhaps it comes with a money-back guarantee if you pick the wrong thing and drop dead?

[quote user="Ian"][quote user="Jonzjob"]

[/quote]

Not sure about that one Ian, but I'll bet they made 'piles' out of it, money that is...[Www]

[quote user="Pierre ZFP"] 

(is shark oil really good for piles?  Causing them or curing them?)

[/quote]

One of my company's clients manufacture a well know "preparation" for piles (to make them feel better). The principal active ingredient is indeed sharks liver oil...I've read the box!  I have no idea how it was invented....a sharks liver is not something you stumble upon, let alone consider applying to a tender part of your anatomy...

[quote user="Ian"][quote user="Pierre ZFP"] 

(is shark oil really good for piles?  Causing them or curing them?)

[/quote]

One of my company's clients manufacture a well know "preparation" for piles (to make them feel better). The principal active ingredient is indeed sharks liver oil...I've read the box!  I have no idea how it was invented....a sharks liver is not something you stumble upon, let alone consider applying to a tender part of your anatomy...
[/quote]

if we could breed  sharks in Dordogne, could we do foie gras with it?  business idea!!!!! [:D]

Archived