Complete France Forum

Death of husband

Hazelnut

• 2 weeks later...

My wife died a few years ago. Our bank account was headed M ou Mme. I went to my local branch with a British death certificate. It was copied and I was told that I could continue using the account.

No problem.

However, in spite of requesting on at least two occasions, the account is still headed M ou Mme. This does not cause me any distress, but it is disconcerting that a bank seems unable to manage such a simple action as modifying the name of an account.

[quote user="Cendrillon"]Perhaps we are being a little harsh here

[/quote]Only a little?  Luckily Cerise answered the question before the sick jokers chimed in.  No wonder the OP posted once and seems to have disappeared.  If she is busy dealing with the death of her husband, hopefully she found sympathetic help.

[quote user="Clarkkent"]...

in spite of requesting on at least two occasions, the account is still headed M ou Mme. This does not cause me any distress, but it is disconcerting that a bank seems unable to manage such a simple action as modifying the name of an account.

[/quote]That would be a bit disconcerting - especially since when it's the wife who is left, all cards and correspondence would show the husband's name.  Our bank (CA) doesn't seem to be able to use both - ie Mme D et M F Bloggs - everything is addressed to M et Mme F Bloggs but the cheque book and cards just show M F Bloggs.  I don't exist - it feels like I'm signing my husband's cheques or using his card!

At the risk of appearing insensitive rather than realistic, Hazelnut, I think that you mean when not if, unless you know something that the rest of us do not. And the answer also depends on whether you have already shuffled off at that time.

John

As an aside it's a good idea to register your car(s) as M et Mme then no problems in said situation [;-)]

I'm sure someone will say that there is no problem, you just fill in this form or that form etc. etc. but by the simple expedient of having it, or them, registered in joint names it bypasses all and makes it one less thing to deal with post berevement, a bonus in my book [;-)]

Following on the car registration post - it is also essential to have the vehicle insurance in both names as in the UK anyway the insurance would immediately cease on the death of one party leaving the remaining one without insurance and having to start afresh without so many years no claims bonus.

It is difficult enough coping with the essentials on a death without all these other annoying and upsetting problems.

WendyG

My husband died very suddenly between our signing of the Compromis and the Acte for our French house. We had opened our bank account just a couple of weeks before he died.

The bank - Caisse d'Epargne - was immensely helpful and kind during the whole process of my completion of the purchase; there was no issue about the fact that it was a joint account (it was an 'ou' on the name line). I used joint card/chequebook for a while (and yes, it was a bit heartbreaking for me) and in fact it was my persona banker at C d'E who suggested issuing me with them in my name only, which in itself was heartbreaking too at the time!

Also, the money transferred for the purchase did not get tied up with UK probate. It was 'in transit' via Foreign Currency Direct at the time, who were also wonderfully helpful.

Sorry if this may not be of huge help to the OP as we were not French residents, but I felt it was worth mentioning.

Having read the post suggesting it was advisable to have car insurance in joint names to avoid losing no-claims bonus, I went in to my local AXA office this morning and asked about this.  The lady told us that the no-claims bonus automatically passes to the remaining spouse and insurance cover remains valid.  I suppose this is where the French system of insuring the vehicle rather than the owner makes a difference.

She also said that it wasn't possible to change the policy to joint names.

Happy driving!

Janet Smile [:)]

Archived