Complete France Forum

Kiwi jam

Tony F Dordogne

Anybody got a recipe please?  A chum has asked us to help them clear their massively overgrown small kiwi plantation and to take the fruit.

But can't find a recipe for kiwi jam - not surprising in UK recipe books but also not in my French books.

Hoddy, I'll save you a jar or two for you and Iv. for next year if you want them - and have other confitures put away for you also.

You can make it just like any other fruit jam (eg plum) but be aware that it contains very little pectin and so does not set very well.  The solution is to use 'Pectin Sugar' especially sold for preserves or to add some sour/crab apples which also give a nice tang to it.

The first time I make kiwi jam it didn't set so I opted for calling it Kiwi syrup and pouring it on ice cream - yummy!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I got a recipe from a gardening forum I subscribe to and used it this morning.  As Pierre pointed out, very little pectin so I used the sucre confiture - and the result is just brilliant.

The fruit was a bit under ripe so I used 1k sugar to 2lb of fruit.  Fruit went through the blitzer first to pulp it.

The result is an excellent jam, setting lovely and firm, and it's kept the colour very well.  It's a bit sharp but will make a good substitute for gooseberry conserve with fish or for strong meats like lamb or even pork.

Archived