Complete France Forum

Gateau Anglais, what would you make?

Helen

Coffee walnut sponge - especially if using home grown walnuts.

Scones, with cream ( or creme fraiche) & home made jam

A lovely rich sticky gingerbread. (could put walnuts in this too)

Battenburg - but it's a bit fiddly.

Our local patchwork club members love all our Brit cakes, especially dundee cake with a good dose of whisky in it. Who says French ladies doen't like alcohol..!

Lots of choice here, still don't know what to do. Its to follow soupe au fromage and manchons de canard  and I expect there will be lots of other cakes. I think a fruit cake would be too heavy.

Actually as cake of any sort has far too many carbohydrates I can't eat any of them .[:(]

I once made a carrot cake for a french neighbour"s birthday as his family was away at the time and he announced in the afternoon that he would be round with champagne at 6pm to toast his birthday.. He could not believe it was made with carrots and although he liked it he thought it was totally bizarre that a cake could be made with vegetables and spices.

When the others returned I was asked to make another and they all appeared along with people I did not even know to see and taste the cake. It was a talking point for months and I am still asked to make some for special visitors and family parties.

I use oil instead of butter as it makes the cake more moist, add lots of fruit and chopped nuts, bake in a loaf tin, and top with mascarpone with orange zest and more chopped nuts.

The banana sandwich however, although discussed at great length, was never adopted as it was considered too too bizarre.

Archived