Complete France Forum

Skippy on the menu!

Wendy

I tried not to gag when my son informed me that he has eaten cheval at college at lunchtime [+o(]; but when he recently told me that kangaroo meat had been served on occasion I had to drop my spoon. As an Aussie should I take umbrage at this?.

I don't know anyone back home who has tried a taste of Skippy!, (except my rather unusual cousin who lives outback and shoots his own dinner, but the family don't talk too much about him [;-)] ).

When I was last in Australia I ate kangaroo steak several times, and jolly nice it was too.  That was in Sydney, so hardly the outback.  I've several skippy steaks in the freezer at the moment, purchased here in France.

I think that Australia was quite some way ahead of Europe in its selection of "unusual" meats.  Even back in 1995 we could choose between ostrich, kangaroo,crocodile and shark steaks.  Not for the faint-hearted perhaps.

Well I have eaten shark; we have been eating that in Chinese resto's in Australia for many years now. They started farming ostrich some years back and even emu. Somehow I cannot bring myself to ever try kanga as I had one as a pet as a kid. Most of us Aussies, though the city dwellers, take some convincing to try it but I hear it is popular now there. I just don't know anyone who has as yet tried it except for cousin Gary. He'd eat anything that had four legs and was within range.

Croc seemed to always be on the menu's of restaurants I could never afford to go to as it was always promoted as 'exotic  food', even though Australia has a glut of crocs. Maybe the taste has something to do with the number of english tourists they have taken over the years...[;-)]

[quote user="Geordie girl"]

Used to live in Bahrain when young (dads job) and we had camel once. It was done in a sauce with spices. Didn't know it was camel till i'd eaten it.

But do we ever know for sure what we're eating in a curry though?[6]

[/quote]

NEVER know what's in a curry made away from home!   Could be a bit of fish eye/croc's bits/cockroach/silk worm...all wrapped around some curry sauce.[;-)]

Archived