Complete France Forum

Curry

JSA Aude

THANK YOU, dear Geordie.  Just done what you suggest.  Hope the ingredients are not too difficult to get.  I do have access to a brill asian supermarket type outlet in Bordeaux, near the airport.  So, all is possible.  Curry next week, curry week after that, curry Christmas.  Yum...................[:D]

[quote user="Clair"]

I can just about do curry!
I prefer by far gratin dauphinois though!
[/quote]

Oooh, please miss, question miss...

Can I go off topic for a moment?  Gratin Dauphinoise... tried the traditional way (no pre-cooking of spuds) quite nice but not gooey enough and takes hours to cook.  I've tried lightly pre-cooking first, nice and gooey, but the 20 to 40 minutes suggested in most recipes for browning really doesn't give that wonderful crusty finish. I know you favour the pre-cooking route Clair, but how long do you leave yours in the oven for afterwards?

Now, about those curries... [:)]

[quote user="Clair"][quote user="johnnyboy"]Apparently its all about the base sauce,there is a small book called "The Curry Secret" and it describes how to make a base for all types of curry.To make a given type,it tells you what to add to the base and what quantities etc.[...][/quote]

Johnyboy,

This book?

[/quote]

We had this book when we first started cooking curries about 15 years ago.  I found that all the curries tasted the same as they all used the same base sauce.  And, the house stank for ages after making batches of the sauce.  I made my husband throw out the book.  Personally I like the Madhur Jaffrey books and one of my faves is one by Shezzhad Hussain.

WARNING: THIS IS NOT ABOUT CURRY!

Cat, I never really time it... [:$]

The recipe I use is based on a Raymond Blanc program I saw on the telly, except that he puts cheese in his and I don't.

The closest I've found is started on the stove and finished in the oven: http://www.meilleurduchef.com/cgi/mdc/l/fr/recettes/gratin_dauphinois.html

The recipe in Rick Stein's French program (on the canal barge) was also very appetising, but I don't have it...

WARNING... NEITHER IS THIS [:D]

Thanks Clair, that's the recipe I tried last time.  It was lovely and thick and creamy, but the 15 to 20 minutes just wasn't enough to really brown it.  Even after 45 it was only a light golden colour.  I'll try leaving it for an hour and a half next time.

Thanks Clair, that is the book indeed! Still haven't found mine, but am spoiled for choice locally anyway in UK[:D]

I too have a book by Madhur Jaffrey, which is also excellent.(Covered in dust for above reason)

Whilst in our local town market recently, we also found a guy doing takeaway meals.V good too I may add.[:)] Think he also visits Bessines and other markets in 87 too.

Johnnyboy.

Archived